1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simple question about Dec. 11, 2010, and SJ.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Oct 2, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your user name is only a few months old. I take it you are someone who has been in here previous incarnations?

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Ask Moddy. He might be able to tell you.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, this is so tired.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Nah. If Ragu is taking a break from the commodities market by trying to have some fun at my expense, who am I to deny him?

5. imjustagirl

Wait, how do you know we call him Ragu?

IMPOSTOR!

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whoever Ruckus is, he sure brings the Photoshop

7. The Big Ragu

What is so tired?

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It woke up really, really early and couldn't fall back asleep.

9. imjustagirl

The whole "Jeez, newb, you've only been here for x months. Why would you know about something that happened way back when? yuk yuk yuk" thing.

OBVIOUSLY he's been here under another handle. And everyone, including you, knows who he was. So either say "Welcome back, xxx" or don't intimate that you, as a moderator, want someone to out themselves.

Very unbecoming.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

I would have figured it would have been around November 2008 or before the other board was born...in that pocket of time when it appeared that liberalism really would overtake the U.S. of A.

11. The Big Ragu

You are presuming a bit.

First, I am not asking anyone to out themselves. You are wrong.

Second, I know what I see. A person I recently noticed on here weighed in about something well before he or she appeared on here. I asked a question. There was nothing unbecoming about it. I didn't yuk, yuk, yuk, as you put it. Of course, I had a reason for asking.

I can guess who it is, but honestly, as much as I privately play that game (and really not that much), I don't assume anything, because I know I have been wrong in the past when a person or two we could tell was someone with history on here finally betrayed who they actually were.

I did ask my question with a purpose. Not in a yuk, yuk, yuk kind of way. I don't quite get the people with multiple names who come on here knowing everything about the board, and as has happened several times, MY posting history--referencing it, without telling me what poster or posters they were in the past so I could feel like I was on a "level playing field," when I responded, so to speak. I have left a history behind on here --perhaps for worse -- and that makes me recognizable. Others have too. For example, imjustagirl. I have a lot of context when I see a post from you, especially when you reference board history or someone else's posting history.

If someone doesn't want to do that on here, it's their right. Leave, come and go, change a name for professional reasons, for example. It's all good. All legit. Start fresh if you need to, for whatever reason. But I find it weak that there have been several people who have popped on and off with multiple names referencing history and responding familiarly to other posters, without the fair turnaround of others knowing THEIR history, the way someone knows mine.

That's my opinion. I'm not asking you to agree. And if you find it old or unbecoming, OK. I can't imagine why, though. I'm pretty straightforward about this.

12. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I was a longtime lurker before signing up here, so I knew of Boots and Dyepack and ScribePharisee and JDV on the negative side and Fenian Bastard on the good. But I am not a sock puppet as I never had a previous handle here.

Draft saved Draft deleted