1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simple Pleasures

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jan 23, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks so much people. More proof that life can indeed by wonderful if we all stop to look. Pallister's great post is evidence of that.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

-- Your kids experiencing succes

-- Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer" on the radio when it's 75 degrees and sunny outside.

-- A par, even if it's the ugliest four shots in a row.

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

• Dropping a chunk of shad gizzards into a brushpile in two-feet of river water, and the ensuing slow, steady pull tells you that it's a catfish of at least two pounds.
    • A flock of late-season mallards — already decoy shy and call shy — doesn't hesitate and barrels right in to your spread.
    • My homemade lasagna. Damn. Labor intensive, but ... damn.
    • The incredibly happy sound of school children during recess.
    • A tee shot that goes EXACTLY where you wanted it — a rarity for me.
    • Leisurely drives in the country with a camera.
    • Being so parched and thirsty that you slug down an entire beer without coming up for air. And the second one that goes down almost as fast. :D
    • The thunderous burp that ensues. ;D
    • The company of good friends.
    • Chasing tornadoes.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

the sound of the ice cream man

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I gotta say that's an awesome point. I sometimes think about what it'd be like if I hit the lottery or was just totally rich somehow. And I honestly don't think my life would change much. I'd definitely drive a nicer car, but I don't think I'd move out to Beverly Hills or start going to trendy bars, and I know I'd still do this job. That's a pretty cool feeling, when you stop and think about it: that as much as most of us bitch about our jobs and how little we get paid, that even if we had a ton of money there isn't much we'd change about our lives (or at least that's the case for me).

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

- A smile on my little sister's face.

- The first bite of a freshly baked pizza.

- Prep football on a Friday night.

- The feel of a golf shot when you've hit it just right.

- Finally seeing your favorite band in concert.

- Finding a $20 bill in your pocket doing laundry.

- Opening day.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Drilling a 30-foot putt

Sweet-shooting rifle

Seeing the last road sign before your house after a long drive

Boobs

8. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

On a Par 3, watching the tee shot sail toward the pin, and sticking to within five feet of the hole. Doesn't happen often, but a great feeling.

The crispness in the air right before it snows.

Sunday, in the fourth quarter, when it became obvious the Bears were going to win the game.

Producing a 600-word gamer in 20 minutes, on deadline. Then, while proofreading, you think, "Man, I really nailed this one."

Turning on ESPNEWS just in time for the top-of-the-hour update.

The look on my wife's face when I surprise her with something cool.

Waking up in the morning and seeing my team in first place in my fantasy baseball league.

Draft saved Draft deleted