1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simon gets 30 games, longest in NHL history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EE94, Dec 19, 2007.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I don't follow hockey much, but when I heard this was the "longest" NHL suspension ever, I called bullshit at first.

How did Simon get more games than Bertuzzi, who damn near killed someone?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

He stepped on his ankle in a deliberate attempt to injure. He could have severed a muscle or a tendon for that matter.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That was one of the most disgusting scenes I've ever seen in the NHL.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What does he have to do to get a season-long suspension? Kill someone?

I talked with a friend today who pointed out that Simon stepped on Ruutu's boot and that it couldn't have done any damage since the material is hard plastic.

And while that may be an argument for some, Simon's history worked against him this time.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

then you haven't been watching enough

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I blame the strike. And the networks. And soccer.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nah. Todd Bertuzzi almost did such, and Chris Simon continues to headhunt and play dirty. Apparently, the NHL doesn't want to look soft, so let's not punish anyone who attempts to injure or kill. Guess that's just the game.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Bertuzzi's suspension would probably have continued into the next season, but that one was wiped out because of the lockout. He ended up missing 20, 13 regular-season and 7 playoffs. He was banned from playing in Europe during the lockout season.

Draft saved Draft deleted