1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons vs. Rivers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PaperClip529, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ryan and Shaughnessy have credibility. Simmons has none. Did you follow the NBA studio show. Jalen Rose and
    Magic barely acknowledged Simmons existence.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If Bill Simmons' favorite team was the Atlanta Hawks or the Indiana Pacers, would ESPN give him this platform. Boston is closest to Bristol and the Evil Empire sucks up to all things Boston, IMO.
    I thought NBA's draft coverage was AWFUL. Also thought it was humorous that Jeff Goodman, recent hire of ESPN, was Tweeting picks and trades far ahead of what was on TV.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't say Simmons was wrong or even that Doc was professional. He wasn't. But neither, for example, was Urban Meyer when he said to Jeremy Fowler that "you're a bad guy" to his face. But what you learn fast as a beat writer is how to take slings and arrows from pompous coaches with a little humor or and a lot of fortitude.

That's just a kind of survival instinct Simmons didn't need to have. He's not had to work with sources over years and put up with BS.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A feud with a coach never hurt any columnist's or commentator's status. Going around picking them is wrong, but if it happens, roll with it. FWIW, I think Simmons is dead wrong about Doc. The Celtics of that era were dead. Everybody involved recognized it and moved on, Ainge most definitely included. I think that makes mature, more mature than Bill's reaction for sure.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Simmons should just use the crane technique on Doc.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Doc may still be holding it against Simmons that Bill called for his head back in 05-06.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He always looks like he's going to cry...

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dan Shaughnessy does not have credibility.

10. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Could you explain why they have credibility and Simmons has none? If Simmons didn't, would ESPN have given him a platform? All three of them do the same thing: watch basketball (or sports) and get paid to report and/or comment on it. Yes that is a sweeping generality, but that's what I'm going with until it's explained further.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Simmons might still have fanboi hate for Rivers.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Bob Ryan is in the basketball Hall of Fame (Or got the award if that doesn't technically put him in).

Maybe you can make a case about Shaughnessy but Simmons has no where near the credibility of Bob Ryan on basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted