1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons vs. Rivers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PaperClip529, Jun 28, 2013.

1. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

At what point does ESPN say "Enough is enough" with this Bill Simmons vs. Doc Rivers feud? It was cute on Thursday night but the ongoing spat can't be a good look for anybody involved, even ESPN's golden boy.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At what point? At the point people stop taking about it and starting message board threads and tuning in to see who says what next.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Doc is the one who keeps mentioning it. Doc seems to protest just a touch too much on this one. He brought it up on at least one, if not two, radio interviews in Boston this afternoon.

He needs to lay low for a while and stop jumping out in front of every mic trying to explain himself.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe it's great timing for Doc to bash Simmons now if he really hates the guy.

Simmons does not come across well on TV, and he is being seen by many people who have never heard of him.

So Doc is bashing him when he is particularly vulnerable. Not that it will amount to a hill of beans.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

If Doc Rivers coaches any other team, his leaving doesn't even get mentioned by Simmons.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Simmons is responding to Doc, not the other way around.

7. bumpy mcgee

I'm talking the initial dust-up that led to Doc saying what he said.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

David khan, Elgin Baylor and a host of others would like a word.

9. bumpy mcgee

If you want to include GMs, I'm right there with you.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That answer is a little flippant. Simmons is suddenly calling Rivers by his birth name on Twitter and cursing. I'd say it's getting about time.

Simmons is acting, in this moment, at a standard somewhere below professional. Not that I'm that surprised. He's never had hedge and pull punches because he's never been a real beat writer.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Simmons was unmasked on NBA pregame show. He is trying to gain back to credibility. He's a lightweight
    fratboy that can't run with the big dogs.

12. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Here we go again with the "you're not a beat writer, you shouldn't talk about it." Interesting to me is how people tend to excoriate Simmons for starting as/being a fanboi but most of the older journalists, wherever they are, are given a pass or their word is passed off as knowledge when spouting out opinions or comments. If Bob Ryan or Dan Shaughnessy wrote Doc quit, they'd be praised for telling the truth. Why is that?

Draft saved Draft deleted