1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons vs. Pierce?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 13, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Which is the Flyweight, and why?

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Simmons. Read their work.

3. VJ

VJ Member

I'd rather be a flyweight with a boatload of cash. Just saying.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I have. No argument that Pierce is a better writer but to call Simmons a lightweight is silly. He may not be the best writer and is certainly not popular with other journalist but he has been extremely successful with what he has done. If everybody could be such a lightweight.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I was, I'd be immune to criticism and avoid picking fights on Twitter. Lame.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not lightweight. Flyweight. It's a designation of character in this case, not stature.

The death blow:

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/2010/12/blog_fight_blog_fight.html

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Tim LaHaye is an extremely successful author. But nobody puts him alongside Hemingway, Faulkner or even King or Grisham.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As my dad used to say, "Don't send a boy to do a man's work"

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm a huge fan of Pierce's work. I also enjoy Simmons (in small doses and at times).

Sad to say, but Simmons is the much better known of the two writers just about everywhere other than this site. Dismissing him as a lightweight is foolish. It's like comparing John Grisham to Don DeLillo.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Pierce fires back again.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/2010/12/blog_fight_blog_fight.html

11. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I'm not all that fond of Simmons.
    But Pierce's piece wasn't a critique of the work. It was a critique of a person he doesn't like. "Get the fuck over yourself?" That's in a book review?

Simmons is right. It comes off like he's a jilted lover. At least now I understand where Pierce's disdain came from. Didn't know Simmons cut him out of the paperback version.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Pierce is sending emails to Simmons criticizing his writing, he's every bit as at fault as Simmons is.

You have to love writers who like telling other writers that they're wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted