1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons vs. Pierce?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What spurred SportsGuy33 to start ripping Charles P. Pierce?

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
    I just thought it was dishonest. You came off like a spurned lover in that piece. But seriously, good luck with your red-hot career.
    19 minutes ago

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
    Hey CPP: took you out of TBOB cuz you trashed it without ever mentioning that you used to email me all the time until I told you to eff off.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Pretty much the only citations Simmons changed in the paperback of his book were two Pierece footnotes. Someone found out and reported it. Simmons now whining about it. Obvious reason for Simmons to pull his pussy stunt is Pierce's negative review of the book.

You can take the douchebag out of Boston, but you can't take the douchebag out of the douchebag.

3. CRR13

CRR13 Member

Simmons basically means, "How dare you insult my book!"

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pierce is a brilliant writer, but he has a reputation for picking his share of fights with other writers.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wait, Simmons wrote a book? I mean, he "wrote" a book?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is it true that Pierce is on the list of writers/columnists who are banned from ESPN?

I remember someone listing the columnists who have made that list and I remembered not being familiar with what Pierce might have done to piss the WWL off.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Pierce wrote a review that was pretty critical of his book. I don't remember him divulging in the review that he and Simmons used to exchange e-mails before Simmons told him to eff off though; I might have wanted to know about that in his review.

8. Inky_Wretch

If it happened.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

True, true.

10. Inky_Wretch

This must be what riled Simmons today. When asked about being edited out of the book, Pierce replied ...

http://deadspin.com/5712872/deadspin-classic-bill-simmons-is-not-the-cosmos-the-book-of-basketball-reviewed

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

Flyweights should not be picking fights with heavyweights.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Charles is one of my oldest friends, but it is betraying no confidences to state he has expressed, in print, criticism of Simmons' work more than once. The book review, I thought, acknowledged Simmons' virtues while noting his vices. Although Simmons worked at the Herald when I did, I didn't know him, but it's also no trade secret that he doesn't take criticism well, which you think wealth and fame would cure, but doesn't.
    Charlie always calls 'em as he sees 'em. Honesty makes enemies.

Draft saved Draft deleted