1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons suspended

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I love responsive design, but you can certainly go too far in emphasizing it.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

To me, Big Circus, SI's site is the equivalent of your avi. ;)

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Suspension ends today.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Simmons seems to be kind of stuck at ESPN.

No other network is going to give him the exposure --- or access to his beloved NBA --- that ESPN does. That's why I don't think he'd go to Fox.

If he went off on his own, his lifestyle would take a serious hit. Adam Carolla's podcast gets something like 2 million downloads a week and he's a best-selling author, but he still has to go on the road doing stand-up and live shows every weekend to supplement his income.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stuck at ESPN? Boo-hoo, where's the violin?

First he was all bent out of shape that the big Boston rags wouldn't give him a shot.

Years later he has the world at his fingertips and it's still not enough.

I'm as restless as the next guy but JFC, Bill, you sit on the throne. You can do whatever you want.

What more do you want?

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think people are making way too big a deal out of this.

Simmons would have no shortage of suitors if he left ESPN, but I think he knows it's probably not in his best interest to do that, especially since he would have to leave his baby (Grantland) to do so.

I equate his relationship with ESPN to Kornheiser's about a decade ago. Tumultuous at times, but they need each other.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Heard and read a lot of stuff that podcasts are a dying medium.
    They're no doubt exciting and entertaining, but difficult to monetize.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I suspect all he'd have to leave is the name "Grantland," a name he didn't even want. ESPN kills it if he's gone. 5 million visitors a month? How many of those are linked to Simmons himself? At least half.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They're dying because everybody is trying to do one and most of them suck and the shitty ones don't get advertisers. The good ones seem to be doing fine. The good ones will survive and the crappy ones won't.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think suck is subjective.
    I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I've heard no-names whose were better to me than eisen's.
    I dont care about celebrities and Hollywood BS, I want to be entertained while I'm doing something boring.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He's not going anywhere. ESPN made him and without that huge platform he'd be back in the pack. ESPN trimmed his sails with that suspension.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

"Has to?" Maybe Carolla enjoys the live stuff, like Leno. Maybe he wants to rake in as much as he can as fast as he can. Maybe it's cross-promotional and doing live shows is a great way to build audience for his podcast and his book.

We can't presume to know whether he needs stand-up money, wants stand-up money or just wants to do stand-up regardless of the money.

Draft saved Draft deleted