1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons podcast with President Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 1, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doubtful.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And I corrected myself, but you harp on the original post. Enjoy the highlight of your day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. stix

stix Well-Known Member

1. I NEVER said Obama "slips up" under pressure. I think he's always come off as composed and well-spoken, and the access he grants is insightful. But there are many highly-paid people that work for him to ensure that he doesn't screw up in public. But that's all beside the point. Because he's good on camera or coaches his daughter's basketball team or seems comfortable as an "every man" are NOT reasons why anyone should think he is or isn't a good president. Sure, being the president requires you to be good in public, and Obama particularly excels at this, but you're letting yourself be distracted by the smoke and mirrors. When he talks publicly about his political policies, fine. When he talks publicly about sports and his personal life, it means nothing to me beyond human interest.

2. Yes, the interview is meant to be entertaining for ESPN viewers. So that's how you should see it. As entertainment. Not as political substance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I think Obama is a good president. I also think using this interview as a metonymy of him being a composed president under pressure is more than a bit overboard.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Enlightened Manor is now the name of my crib.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This thread needed a TelePrompter.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not this interview, the way he handles him self in general.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

And less mom jeans.

Curse you, Cresote! Curse you!

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I didn't much care for the President's answer to The Wire question. Not because he picked Omar, but because it seems like he (politically) can't discuss with any eloquence why his favorite television character is a gay, vigilante hitman in a show about America's inevitable decline. If Simmons would have fired back with "Well, if that's the case, how come you can't support a Constitutional Amendment that would have allowed Omar to marry Brandon?" it would have been the greatest Bill Simmons moment of all time.

I'm sort of surprised Republicans don't try to make a bigger issue out of his Wire fandom. I guess it's just proof none of them have every actually sat through more than 10 minutes of the series.

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

What if he'd said Royce?

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Clinton clearly is a McNulty fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted