1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons podcast with President Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

13 posts now on a podcast you didn't have time to listen to.

I didn't know the President coached his daughter's basketball team.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For the record, I enjoyed the interview, although I only read the transcript. Will watch tonight. I learned a few things as well.

But it's batshit crazy to equate how you handle 25 minutes with Simmons with handling a global crisis.

3. stix

stix Well-Known Member

The point was not about the content of the podcast. It was about what I felt people would most likely take from the podcast. And that's that Obama is a better candidate for president simply because he knows sports and he's comfortable talking "every man" topics. And I find that ridiculous.

I guess I used bad wording when I said I didn't have "time" to listen to the podcast. Obviously I do. I just didn't have much of an "interest," but I know how many people will because they think it's some sort of reason to like Obama more or less as a presidential candidate. And that's unfortunate.

I did not know he coached his daughter's basketball team. That is interesting to learn, I suppose, but it doesn't make me feel one way or another towards him as president.

In all fairness, though, I should listen to the podcast now.

4. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Once again, Ryan, my thoughts exactly.

I am not in any way attacking the podcast or its contents (I'm sure it's interesting). I'm attacking what I predict people will inevitably take away from it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder what shows he will do and if there are shows that they won't let him do.

He's done The Tonight Show, he's done Letterman and he's done TDS. I don't think he's done Kimmel, Colbert, Ferguson, Fallon or Conan, not that any of that is any surprise.

I completely missed that ESPN had prevented Simmons from interviewing Obama before. I had never heard that until today, or if I had, I had forgotten.

I'm not surprised he would do a bracket for Katz, but I am surprised/impressed that he sat down with Simmons...

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, but it's like Sonner to stuff words into my mouth. Once again I will ask, when have you seen Obama slip up under pressure? Take your mind away from this interview, and think in a larger picture. Obama gives amazing access for a President. This is not the first time he has been on camera like this.

And, Stix, the E in ESPN stands for entertainment. If you think this is not entertaining for the followers of their media empire, then I am going to disagree with you.

7. 93Devil

Stix, to me Obama coaching his daughter's basketball team says volumes about him.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

He's done O'Reilly a couple times, too. Strange but true.

9. JackReacher

How did I stuff words in your mouth?

You said the way he handled that interview made you more comfortable in his ability to handle other, more important things, you know, like California falling off the planet.

I said you were batshit crazy. I stand by that.

10. JackReacher

But it's not about WHAT he said. It's about HOW he said it. Right?

11. JackReacher

Either way, my work day is over in 10 minutes. I have a cold case of Miller Lites waiting for me in my garage!

12. 93Devil

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/02/obama_coach.html

He stepped into coach. He is not the official coach.

Sonner, will I be able to type anything right to change your opinion of anything I post?

Draft saved Draft deleted