1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons podcast with President Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 1, 2012.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

And THAT'S the problem. What does it matter "how" he said it.

If he said "I had sex with your wife" in the same affable, laid-back manner, would you talk about what a great leader he is?

Christ, he SHOULD be comfortable in this setting. He's talking with an ESPN reporter about sports. And he likes sports. Compared to what he normally has to deal with, why would be be uncomfortable?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I guess that's what I'm saying, too. Well-put, Ryan.

3. stix

stix Well-Known Member

And this all points to why I rolled my eyes in the first place when I went to ESPN.com and saw this.

Is it because I dislike Simmons? No, I like him. Is it because I'm offended by the president taking his time to talk about sports? No, he likes sports, he should be able to express his opinions about something he enjoys for recreation.

It's because I knew exactly how this podcast would be viewed. Not just as an interesting interview or an insight into the president, but as reasons for why people should or shouldn't vote for him. And it pisses me off, frankly.

We've really gotten to a point where someone might vote for the fucking PRESIDENT because he likes the Bulls, he likes Jeremy Lin and he handles himself well when talking about sports just like any millions of dudes you can sit on a barstool next to on a Friday night?

The answer is yes, and that's why I rolled my eyes when I saw the podcast.

Anyway, I realize we're reaching the politics zone here and straying away from journalism topics, so I'll pull back. From an insulated standpoint, nice job by Simmons.

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

There are many insights you can glean from something like that -- nothing you didn't already know, probably, if you care to know. But people are hammering 93Devil here for clumsy phrasing rather than for substance.

The President is gracious, for instance. He was pretty generous with President Bush.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, Sonner and Stix, how do you judge a person's ability to handle pressure?

And if you don't think being interviewed is stressful, then you have never been interviewed before by the media.

6. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Awesome!

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Your new host of Meet the Press....Bill Simmons. If you can handle Simmons, you can handle anything!

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

More people will see that podcast than Meet the Press.

9. stix

stix Well-Known Member

There are many, many different ways to gauge how someone can handle pressure. You're a journalist, you know what it's like to work on tight deadlines. That's pressure.

Just because someone handles pressure and it's not a public sitution doesn't mean that a person can't handle pressure. Sometimes great pressure is knowing you have to go out and do your job every day to put food on the table and support a family. Point is, there are many ways to determine a person's ability to handle pressure.

Of course being interviewed by the media can be stressful. But he's also the fucking PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! I would think that being interviewed by Bill Simmons of ESPN in a controlled environment is one of the LEAST pressure-packed situations he'll ever have to deal with during his time in office.

I guess if you wanted to judge how well I could handle pressure, that may be a good situation to tell. But if you think that was a lot of pressure for the president, that's just crazy. There's a reason he's gotten through 85 trillion speeches in his life. I don't know how this one could suddenly make you think that he can handle pressure.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Shocking that you missed the point.

11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

And that's very, very sad.

Just adds to my commentary.

Lob him a bunch of questions about the Bulls and Jeremy Lin, well, the man is all set to handle a situation where China decides to take military action on our country! Good enough for me!

I'm guessing the Ryan Braun situation will be high on the list of topics for the presidential debates. See if he doesn't sweat out that one!

12. stix

stix Well-Known Member

The only thing that you can "glean" from that is that the president knows his way around an interview and that he understands the power of positive PR.

If he hadn't already proven that, he'd be Alderman Obama. Maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted