1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons podcast with President Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 1, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's not the point. You're equating one's ability to breakdown the Bulls in a coherent manner with the ability to handle a global crisis. I mean, I know what you're getting at. Just a poor way of getting there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Oh, I get all that. I didn't mean to come across as bitter at Obama or Simmons. Not at all.

Simmons and ESPN get a huge audience, Obama gets to have a little fun and talk sports (while also relating to the "every man," which is key in politics). And I do think Obama knows his sports pretty well. He's obviously a fan.

I don't have a problem with them doing it, my point was just that from a personal standpoint I don't care at all. It's nothing more than human interest, just a feature on the president. But how this will have any bearing on what people think of him politically (and it will) is just beyond me. That's why I don't care. I know he likes basketball. This is nothing new.

As far as the "every man" thing, though, that's where I have a problem. For the record, I am pro-Obama (and I have my reasons, the poltical talk stops there), but I don't like him because, "Gee, he's a sports fan, and so am I!" I mean, he showers in the morning, too. So do I. He takes shits sometimes. So do I. While I completely understand the "every man" phenomenon, I don't like it. Far, far too many people vote based on a perception of what they think a person is LIKE, not what they think of that person's ideas and credentials.

But, like I said, I agree. Good for Simmons and ESPN. Gotta give the guy credit. With a mix of timing, luck and mostly talent, he's gone from frustrated part-time preps writer to interviewing the president.

3. stix

stix Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous.

So because the president is comfortable talking in public about the Bulls, he's all set to guide us through a world crisis. The guy I know at the corner bar talks sports in an everyday setting all the time. Maybe he should be president.

Again, Obama being a sports fan and willing to talk about it openly is cool. But that has exactly 0 percent reason for why I would or wouldn't vote for him.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When did I mention breaking down the Bulls? I am talking about how he handles himself in his everyday life.

5. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Yes, but there's a stark difference between realizing that something DOES matter while also believing that is SHOULDN'T matter.

Probably a shrewd interview on Obama's part. But to me, more sad commentary on how easy it to sway people's opinions over whether you should lead the free world based on things that have little relevance to that job.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Outing alert -- stix is Chuck Klosterman.

7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

You need to clraify here. Basically, it comes off as you saying you're more comfortable with him because he seems like the kinds of guy who could break down NBA hoops at the local bar with the second-shifters from Lowe's after they get off of work.

Fine. Obama DOES come off a dude you could have a few beers with.

But I know lots of dudes you could have a few beers with, and that has NO bearing on whether I'd want them as my president. Like I said, I voted and will vote again for Obama, but it has NOTHING to do with how he comes off in public and that he likes sports.

8. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I wish.

I'd be making a lot more money!

9. JackReacher

You didn't. You mentioned how he handled himself with Simmons. And he did that by breaking down the Bulls, among other things.

10. 93Devil

Once again, where did I mention anything about his view on the Bulls? The guy at the corner bar probably is not going to have 10 million hits on his comments in about a week.

11. 93Devil

You focus on what he said. I focus in how he said it.

12. JackReacher

Exactly. You're saying that because he handled himself so well when talking to Bill Simmons, you trust him to handle himself just as well when dealing with global crisis.

And I'm saying that's retarded.

Draft saved Draft deleted