1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons... out!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PaperClip529, May 8, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've said it before, but the worst thing happened to Simmons. He became civilized.

His long-suffering teams enjoyed success, and he made millions through his work. But he pretty much stopped doing what had gotten him to that point in the first place, which was write.

Now some of it was because he couldn't keep writing "woe is me" stuff with championship teams. But his branching out, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, fed his ego, which got too big for the powers that be.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As someone who generally admires Simmons I wonder if his termination is largely reflective of the lack of revenue he produces. Grantland and 30/30 will carry on in his absence. His podcasts don't have that many commercials. I don't know how much Stamps.cop and Subway pay for commercial time on his podcasts but I don't think it covers his salary. If was always surprised that given Simmons talent and salary he was not given time on ESPN radio and ESPN 2 for his on-air work.

This is, in some ways similar to what happened to Kenny Mayne. He was going to be the internet star at ESPN and was largely producing short, internet humor pieces. But in his last contract that was scrapped and he was only offered a part-time position as a SportsCenter anchor. And I am pretty sure he made a lot less and I don't think he was the pain in the ass that Simmons is. But ESPN has not seen enough web traffic to drive the salaries.

3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted