1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons... out!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PaperClip529, May 8, 2015.

1. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

the Grantland question is at least as interesting as the Simmons angle. lot of talented people at the site. they certainly could sustain without simmons, but i wonder if they would have to hire/elevate someone to be its star.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see who from Grantland follows Simmons wherever he goes.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like it was his decision given Skipper's statement, but it's just as well. After that three-week suspension for bashing Goodell, it's hard to see how he could have remained there. I know he has a rabid following that will remain loyal, but it's the fringe fans who will lose touch with him now that he's off the biggest platform available. As someone who hates the NBA, I grew increasingly disenchanted with his stuff, though I enjoyed his Red Sox, Pats and NFL takes.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Even given all the saltiness between Simmons and Skipper, this still surprises me.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wonder if his balls are deflated now.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They should hire Jay Mariotti to run Grantland.

Kayaugstin Kott likes this.
  8. JackReacher

Nothing yet on ESPN.com.

Weird.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Meh.

I read Grantland for the TV/movie pieces, Charles Pierce and whatever catches my eye, which usually isn't much.

I tried to read Simmons' novel on Tim Duncan the other day, but, like all of Simmons' writing, it gets bogged down in extraneous shit that it makes my eyes glaze over. That's the first Simmons story that I've even bothered to click on in years and years because Bill still doesn't understand that having unlimited bandwidth doesn't mean you have to use it in every story.

I won't mourn his leaving much the same way that ESPN seems happy to be rid of him.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Of all the writers on Grantland, he's the author I read the least. At this point - for both good and bad - you know what you're getting with his stuff. Readers already know how he feels about the chosen subject matter and his presentation of those feelings is rather staid. You may be predictably entertained or enraged, but rarely enlightened.

12. JackReacher

Simmons doesn't write all that much anymore, does he? He'll participate in those morning-after e-mail blurbs with a few other Grantland staffers. But generally speaking, I didn't think he wrote as many columns as he used to.

Draft saved Draft deleted