1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons on Maravich. Yes, it's good.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shotty - I agree with Michael on his reasons. I just feel that the fact that the Knicks sucked needs to be added as # 5.

I disagree on Bullets but agree that Seattle was not an inspiring team to watch.

Dools your history of league is about as loose as Simmons is.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As I recall games were tape delayed in the early 70's in home team town only. 1970 Knicks/ Lakers game 7 was tape delayed. Obvioulsy did not matter to Knick fans most of whom listened to Marv Albert on radio then watched delayed version at midnight on ABC.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Attendance going up was no surprise; it probably happened in all sports, as sports became a bigger part of our culture. I stand by my assertion that the 1970s was not a glorious era of the NBA.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, Simmons is correct in asserting NBA Finals were tape delayed in the '70s. This was thanks to CBS. ABC, which broadcast the 1970 Finals, didn't do this, CBS started it when they took the rights in 1974. The 1980 Finals were tape-delayed. I think the 1981 Finals were, too, but I covered that one so didn't see.
    Now, of course, that would never happen. All the NBA does is string the playoffs out until mid-June so ABC's May sweeps are not affected.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Anything Simmons wrote after his bullcrap Monday piece on the Pats-Colts was going to look like pure gold. We get it Tippy the Simmons, you like the Pats. That ship sailed a longgggg time ago. I mean, he tried to defend Belidick's post-game interview, for God's sakes.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me that I never did read whatever excuses he had for that game. I am curious.

EDIT -- Not that bad, actually. He laid off the excuses and gave Manning his due.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yeah, it wasn't that bad. But still plenty of Pats ass-covering, like BB excuses for his interview and Brady 'would have needed a miracle,' etc.

I know his 'schtick' is he's a fan, and a Boston fan, but it just gets old. We still got "The Manning Face" mentioned. Where's The Brady Face? I'm just tired of his stuff, I guess.

In that vein, PK's MMQB was almost ALL about the Pats-Colts, and not about the game he was covering. I read his SI mag piece, and it was all about the Bears, but not about the boneheaded Saints. I despise writers who can't admit mistakes, and PK comes with his absurd Drew Brees picks up his dog's poop junk in MMQB, not Drew Brees Sucked Donkey Kong in the big game. Why, b/c PK wanted DB to win the MVP, that's why. That's bush-league crap.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Another genius line from his most recent column or bloggy thing

<i>Can Durant continue to make everyone feel dumb for not mentioning him as a possible lottery pick until the legendary 37-23 game against Texas Tech?</i>

Does 'everyone' consist of him and his buddy House? I swear he lives in a world that very few occupy. Durant's been lauded as a lottery pick since he was a junior in high school.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Bill can't be bothered with research. Not if it can't be gleaned from his clearly limited movie collection, or his collection of interesting friends.

But, hey, it's almost time for him to start talking about the Red Sox again, so maybe it will get better.

Draft saved Draft deleted