1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons on Boston beat writers ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Apr 13, 2007.

1. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

From his latest column. I don't know the Boston market. Fair or unfair?

(Note: Last year's excuse was that Marcus Banks and Mark Blount infected the locker room and screwed up team chemistry, so we traded those cancerous bums for Wally, a better guy who makes $12 million a year and walks with a limp. This year, the excuse was that we were "destroyed by injuries," even though we were 5-13 on Dec. 8 with a relatively healthy team that had just finished the easiest stretch of its schedule. No Boston media members mention this crap because the beat writers love Rivers for making their day-to-day jobs easier, and the mainstream columnists are too busy filming segments for TV shows, playing golf and calling in to radio shows. Besides, all anyone in Boston cares about are the Sox and Pats. So what's the point?)

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Boston Market is very good. Try the meatloaf.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

mmmm, with Mashed Potatoes and green beans... I wish they had them here in the land of illegal cockfighting

4. Sly

Sly Active Member

No one cares about the Celtics ... Why he wastes 4,000 words writing about them is beyond me.

So I don't have to start another Simmons thread, did anyone find the following from his Monday blog strongly objectionable?

"Suggestion if you're ever watching a golf major in a room mixed with males and females: Any time a no-name golfer wins and hugs his wife, if the wife doesn't look like a supermodel, quickly start making the "Uh-oh, time to trade her in!" and "Looks like somebody needs to go the dealer for an upgrade!" jokes. Any woman within earshot will flip out. High comedy."

Is it just me or was that WAY out of line? It's obviously a terribly-veiled shot at Zach Johnson's wife, who wasn't ugly but didn't look like Amy Mickelson or Elin Woods, either. If I'm Zach Johnson, I'm on my way to Los Angeles to break every single club in my bag over Billy Boy's head. You can take a shot at a lot of things, but a man's wife isn't one of them.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No woman looks like Elin Woods.
    It's unpossible.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Who knew, Bill? Who knew?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How many games did YOU suit up for, Billy?? ::) ::)

8. I agree with you but Simmons gets to take shots at people because he's 3,000 miles away and never in any danger of having to face anyone he makes fun of in person.

To suggest the Bob Ryan of all people is a blind-faith Kool-aid drinker is an even bigger example of going over the line. Simmons couldn't wash - never mind carry Bob Ryan's jock.

(Besides - it was Doc Rivers who made those comments - but why expect Simmons to get anything right?)

Here's the link to the column BTW

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070413&sportCat=nba

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Damn straight. And I'm no Ryan nuthugger.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jesus, what a jealous little bitch Little Lord Billie is.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

He is such a f*cking putz, it's unreal. What a punk.

12. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

The comment about Johnson's wife -- if you think that's "WAY out of line", you have serious problems.

Is humor still legal?

Draft saved Draft deleted