1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons' latest ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

... and no mention of Boston.
    I'm far from a "hater" of Simmons. I've been reading him since is days on AOL but have calmed as I've gotten older.
    I thought things were going well, then he totally refocused the end from this tragedy to comparing it to the Wire.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080312

It's good to see him expand, but the last section - IMO - ruined this story.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A horse already flogged into dust by Albom, among many others.

3. Invoking The Wire was an unnecessary attempt to tie in pop culture to a story that didn't need it, but otherwise I thought this was a solid piece. Not great by any means, but definitely above average.

And I give credit for Simmons trying something different, for going to the funeral instead of just sitting on his couch.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Section 1-3 were pretty good (although he didn't need the first person perspective, as it added nothing). Section 4 was awful.

Still, a nice change up for him, even if he makes fun of Gary Smith for doing the same type of story .

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

That was awful. Proof that Simmons can do nothing but "I know this, I know that, movie cliche No. 1, TV cliche No. 2"-writing.

6. Stay out of the deep end, Bill.

7. I just came here to post about it. I went from "Why is Simmons doing actual reporting/serious essaying?" to "This is admirably heartfelt, if cliched" to "WHY IS THIS NOW A REVIEW OF WIRE SEASON 5??? " and "HOW DID THIS GET PAST AN EDITOR?"

Like...why?

It reminded me of that guy who listens to a conversation about terrorism and jumps in with a comment about 24...as if to intentionally demonstrate his lack of real-life knowledge of the subject.

A LINE about The Wire might, perhaps, have been okay. But a de facto review? In the middle of THAT story? (K, I'll stop using caps.)

This line was particularly awful: "There was a certain symmetry to Jas' funeral occurring two days after the final episode of 'The Wire.'"

No, Bill, there was not.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does anyone else dislike Bill Simmons because of how he dismisses college football?

Enough about Stephon Marbury's expiring contract.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No; people can dismiss whatever they want. I dismiss most of the NBA season. There is a whole generation of columnists (thankfully retiring and dying out) who dismiss soccer.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just another hand-wringing sad-story-about-dreams-dying-young, the likes of which Albom, as noted above, has turned into a cottage industry. Pass the hankies.

Tying it into the plotlines of Billy's favorite TV show simply lowers the intellectual content of the entire exercise by 30 IQ points.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Even I had a problem with The Wire stuff.

12. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I have to say, overall, I was impressed by Mr. Simmons' foray into actual journalism. But I also agree that all the Wire references needed a good hatchet-job by his editors, save for the last three graphs. One, two, MAYBE three references to the show would have been great, but good Lord, that was typical ESPN-style overkill.

Like I said, though, it was a good (not great) article and the effort coming from Simmons makes it a little more memorable.

Draft saved Draft deleted