1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons first-ever read

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Jun 18, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fixed.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And it just occurred to me -- he's the real-life Ray Barone we all argue doesn't exist. :D

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Good one.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I wonder how much of Bill's suckitude can be attributed to ESPN. It's pretty obvious that he feels neutered there and he is likely a victim of his own success. All of the stuff that feels so cliched right now -- the mailbags, snark, pop culture -- was what made him huge and what he did first and did better than anyone else and is what made him popular. So his editors will want that stuff over and over because it is what drives page views.

He needs to go to someplace like Yahoo Sports, where he can do things like bitch about announcers (not being able to do that restricted his voice of the fan viewpoint) and where he can focus solely on his writing. He does have plenty of talent, but I am not sure ESPN is giving him enough room to grow.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Coming to theatres Labor Day weekend 2009: We're STILL Not There Yet, starring Bill Simmons!

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Today's column was predictably Boston-centered, but I liked the part about his father. Touching, indeed.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Damn, there was a We're Not There Yet joke dying to be made there. Beat me to it.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The dad stuff didn't do much for me. His dad, as he's written many times, is a big fan of the Celtics, Sox, and Patriots. He's 60, I believe. So he's been a fan that, prior to last night, had been around for 16 NBA titles, two World Series titles, and three Super Bowls. I wouldn't have been heartbroken for Sports Dad if he didn't get to celebrate a 17th NBA title. My dad's suffered through two decades of Timberwolves incompetence, four Vikings Super Bowl defeats, the 1998 NFC title game, and he became an NBA fan the last year the Laker were in Minnesota so he was a Lakers fan during the 60s, when they kept losing, and losing, and losing. He did have those twins titles.

But if the Timberwolves win a title within the next four years, I'm not going to think he "deserves it as much as anyone." Jeez, Bill.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fans suffer. It's what they do. My dad was a Washington Senators fan. His team died twice. I am not interested in that angle of sports anymore. I realize many fans are, because everyone likes reading about themselves.
    Bill likes writing about himself. That, to me, is unappealing reading. He thinks my writing sucks, too, so no harm no foul.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Fixed.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

My biggest beef — of many — with Simmons is how he trashes the writers who actually go to games and practices and go into the lockerrooms and offices and training rooms to try to shake out one meaningful quote if they can get that and he lords it over everybody that he doesn't have to do that. To me, that even further cheapens what he does because he doesn't bother to get his hands dirty with real work.
    When Larry Bird's phone rings and Bob Ryan's number pops up on caller ID, Larry Legend picks up the phone. Simmons ain't got Larry's number to call.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'd have a much bigger problem with that, eagle, if he were pretending to do journalism. But he's not, and rarely tries to (for good reason, because he lacks the skill, as a reporter, and lacks the discipline, as a writer.) ... There are many forms of writing, and interviewing isn't a requisite for all of then.

Draft saved Draft deleted