1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons feature

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheShou, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Story did not catch my interest till this little passage :

“I like the post-assassination Jackie,” Simmons said during a Kennedy riff one recent afternoon in Los Angeles. “She was superhot.”

Very Classy Bill .

I marvel at the guy's ability to remember things from a young age. He was born in 1969. Assassination took place in '63.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, come on Boom. I can say James Dean was hot, and I wasn't alive.

There are these things called photos?

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Wow, nitpicky much? Irrelevant.

The profile didn't tell me anything I already knew, which qualifies it as a waste of time. But I like Simmons. I respect what he's done. He's a premier sportswriter, not a journalist or a reporter, which he's never claimed to be.

He is what he is, and at the moment what he's built is pretty impressive.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

For one thing, sports is not exactly the NYT's wheelhouse.

Look, a significant percentage of us wonder what the hell happened to America, to journalism, to people. Is it that hard to accept that Simmons is wildly popular because he reframes absolutely everything into his own very specific paradigm?

This is the future. There will never be another Simmons, because in the future, there will be a Simmons for every major metro locale. It's a wonder there isn't a Simmons for the LA Lakers already -- talk about a crowd just dying for their own Simmons. A Lakers-focused Simmons would be worth many millions a year.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Completely and entirely disagree. While the Times does not operate in the same way as traditional metros, it has great sports coverage and fantastic sports writers. The writer of this piece was not a sports writer. Richard Sandomir might not have offered the same magazine-y stylings, but he would have done a much better job.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's a good thing he got out of the beat-writing business with ledes like this ...

http://blogs.bostonmagazine.com/boston_daily/2011/06/06/bill-simmonss-humble-beginnings-yup-this-is-our-writer/

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's less cringe-worthy that Simmons wrote it than that his editor allowed it to be published.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Agreed.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I actually think Simmons is a much much more creative sportswriting entrepreneur and editor than he is a writer. He has ideas and executes them very well and most of all, is still coming up with ideas. Day to day columnizing, I think he hit the wall (it's there for everybody, me, too) a few years ago.
    A majority of readers, of course, always have and always will stick with a writer they first liked no matter how stale said writer gets. That's why popularity is A test of writing merit, not THE test.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Such bullshit that writers are expected to work hard and earn things like a column. Totally unfair.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Also, I'm curious as to how working for peanuts as an independent then AOL.com local writer was so much better.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Herald should post all of his old articles again. They own them, so why not? The hits would be great. Could even convince Grantland.com to be a primary advertiser, probably.

Draft saved Draft deleted