1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons defends McGwire, rips Ann Killion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Glad somebody finally took Simmons to task for some unfair shots in his column at Killion. Unless Killion somehow started it. It'd be cheap, but understandable.

But I don't think she did.

If Simmons wanted to be sincere with his criticism, and subject Killion's somewhat sanctimonious reasoning for keeping McGwire out of the Hall - we shouldn't be making moral decisons "for the sake of the kids" - then keep the funny shit out. Don't crack wise about comedy scales and Bash Brothers bull. You can be critical, but once you stuff your ego with a couple "dontcha love it?" grafs, the critique is empty - with a scent of nihilism. It says: "I'm harsh, and I'm a jag off!" Nothing says sharp like a brilliant fuckwit.

The clincher material for me is what I like to call "the world in ruins" graf, where Simmons pokes at the uselessness of protecting our kids. Classic nihilism - arguing for immorality in theory because the world's so wrecked anyhow.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Um, when?

Not before Congress ...

3. That's the only difference.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

By disappearing. By not giving us all the middle finger for two more years, threatening to sue then never going through with it, crying fake tears on a reality show, talking about how his testicles were still big and hairy, by not lying to a grand jury in the name of flaxseed oil, by not using his 10-year-old kid as a shield against the media because he couldn't handle questions about his blabbermouth mistress, by not letting his supposed best friend rot in jail while he continued to make millions of dollars and claiming a black man in this country just couldn't get a fair shake.

McGwire gave his testimony, and as poor and ill-conceived as it came across, at least he didn't lie further. He didn't claim he couldn't speak English, or wag his finger at senators and act like he was insulted they would dare invite him to speak, only to test positive two months later. He didn't sell out his teammates in a tell-all book, or use the "but everyone was doing it" or the oh-so-popular "my trainer fucked me" defense.

He simply slithered back to California, stopped taking calls and appearing in public, and hid.

That's shame. It's not exactly remorse, but it's definitely shame.

We'll defend liars in this country. Everyone knew Pete Rose was lying for years and years, and they still defended him, demanding he be put in the HOF.

But we can't stand weakness, or someone looking pathetic.

As soon as Rose finally ADMITTED he'd been lying all these years, the drumbeat to get him into the HOF died a quiet and swift death.

It's the same reason why, if I were one of Bush's advisers, I'd tell him the exact same thing his people are obviously telling him. Don't admit you fucked up. Don't admit you lied. Because the minute people can prove you're weak, your credibility is done. Forever.

If McGwire had been defiant like Bonds, barked back and told people to fuck off at every turn, if he had called a press conference, looked into the camera and said, "Prove it that I did steroids other than andro. Prove it," he wouldn't be nearly as reviled as he is now.

Of all the embarrassing performances that week in front of Congress, and there were plenty -- including Schilling, who talked tough for weeks on the Dan Patrick show about how much integrity he had, then pulled a Ron Reagan under oath -- McGwire's made you feel the most uncomfortable because at least it had a whiff of shame to it.

Bonds will be selling autographed syringes in QVC in five years, giving us all the finger until the day he drops dead of a massive stroke. McGwire will simply become a cross between DiMaggio and Garbo, living out his days in solitude and sadness while developing a drinking problem.

I don't really feel much sympathy for either, but I have a hard time rewarding Bonds for anything while acting like McGwire betrayed us all, and that he dishonored to pristine, noble game of baseball.

5. Rose never really admitted anything, though. And what he did say was 1) at the same time the Hall of Fame voting results were announced, and 2) right before a "tell-all" book came out.

It's not that he looked weak. It's that he looked like an even bigger asshole.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Killion's been known as one of those people who gets emotional because she's missing her kids' athletic events.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I don't know if this is true or not, but it's funny either way. Nice, LJB.

8. Herbert Anchovy

It's entirely true. I am not passing judgment on it either way. And for some people, every gram of understanding they derive from anything is only reached after it's filtered through their kids. I think that makes for bad opinion writing, but oh well.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Make up your fucking mind.... you're ripping Jimmy Johnson on another thread for what you perceive at his abrupt arrival at a decision to get divorced.

Should family matter, or not?

And, if missing watching your kids growing up doesn't make you emotional.... well, I don't want to to know you.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm not a skilled with the fun w/ quotes as you, but it's just plain silly to say that the ONLY difference is that Simmons is an internet columnist... unless you're conceding that it makes a huge difference. Being an internet columnist is entirely different than being a print columnist. There is not max or min on the amount of space your column gets, their really isn't a set in stone deadline, etc. just for starters. And then with Simmons in particular, you can write about (seemingly) whatever you please... fire Doc Rivers, NFL picks, The NBA, The Wire, The OC, a million other TV shows, all of your buddies, Hollywood, etc., etc.

If people don't like him, that's fine and I can understand why (especially from real journalists who have to show their faces in the locker room the next day). But to judge him the same way you judge other columnists misses the point; he offers a different perspective -- he's supposed to represent the regular guy's point of view. And dig it or not, plenty of people do, and when he walks away (probably soon, unless ESPN backs up the money truck in front of his house) all the Simmons backlash will subside and people will realize they miss reading him. Because no matter what you think of him, I can't agree with anyone who says he isn't a talented writer... you may not like what he writes, but to say he isn't talented is just foolish.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Stop it now, you're going to break my heart.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

To me, the biggest difference in the jobs is that if you write, say, that Bill Mazeroski hit "the shot heard round the world", you can amend that five minutes after posting, and its existence becomes a mere internet rumor.

Do that in a newspaper, and you are cooked.

Draft saved Draft deleted