1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons column dies in "The Mag"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 3, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh oh, a third board is fixing to be started. :eek:

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree on the writing; some of their staff writers are must-reads for me. But I always prefer catching the stories online first, and the print guy in me hates to say that. The mag still looks like the designers are on acid.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They just posted a new piece from the July 13 edition on cyclist Mark Cavendish.

Really enjoyed it.

http://insider.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/insider/news/story?id=4300592

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Closterman was on Simmons' podcast last week and used the same argument about why he doesn't tweet.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Two terrific pieces. Can't wait to see how you-know-who tries to come in and trash those pieces ... but he probably will.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Because when my other magazines stop printing, they somehow magically use the remaining term to extend my subscription to ESPN-TM. I've had two different mags quit printing and now my ESPN-TM subscription doesn't expire until 2011.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep . . . despite the indisputable fact that the design precepts adhered to are an affront to educated humanity.

8. AD

AD Active Member

For the first time last month, I heard rumblings that "espn: the mag" was in trouble, and may well be on its way out. Strange, because I'd never heard anything but how it's growing and excelling. Is this a bum rumor? God knows I've heard plenty of those....

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Cancelling a subscription is worse than when you tried to cancel with AOL back when they were charging. I bought the mag at first to try it, then again to help with school sales for a fundraiser. When it ended, I cancelled and was harassed for a long time until I reupped for $1 an issue. When that ran out I finally told one of their callers "I don't WANT your magazine! I don't enjoy it." That worked.

Yes, it's terrible.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'd be surprised if it was. Subs are apparently at 2.1 million.

11. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

True, but they almost give away a large chunk of that 2.1 million. Mine comes free with my insider account.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm pretty sure my and your insider accounts aren't free.

Draft saved Draft deleted