1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons Cliff Notes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by maberger, Oct 2, 2008.

1. maberger

maberger Member

When somebody finishes reading this 10,000 word magnum opus, would they please post Cliff Notes?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=manny

Also, now more than ever his stealing from David Foster Wallace pisses me off.

That is all.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How old is Simmons?

He writes of the Red Sox players that, in 2003, he saw "one of my heroes" do something or other.

Guy considered athletes his heroes that recently? Either he was 14 in 2003 or he's a doofus.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Baby Jesus help us ... he's footnoting.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"I" was the second word in the story.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He lost me with "When I was working at the Jimmy Kimmel Show in 2003..." when did Simmons morph into Ted Kyzinski?

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I have to say, the use of gigantic, big-ass art on the web is pretty cool.

I have no interest in reading this, but I like the pics.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I liked this more than many of his Boston-centric stories as he's not a total Sox homer in it and there were no ridiculous shots at Peyton Manning, A-Rod, Kareem, or the 86's Lakers' failure to make it to the Finals so they'd be destroyed by the Celtics. He rips on Epstein quite a bit for basically doing what Manny was accused of, quitting on the team (the gorilla suit days). The footnotes - coming so soon after his little goodbye message to Wallace a few weeks ago - are a bit much. Although it's not like writers should be banned from using footnotes just because Wallace was famous for them. He didn't invent them either.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can he be both?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Love Simmons' podcasts. Can't read his stories. Just too much.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Come on , give me a difficult one.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I've never been into Simmons is that he's that funny guy sitting behind you in the bleachers who is giving a running commentary, you laugh, but you wouldn't seek him out to sit near him at another game.

12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Jesus Christ, I just wasted 20 friggin minutes getting halfway through that mountain of shit. Has Simmons not been reading the Boston papers for the past month? The Globe has been writing about how all Manny's acts in the last month and a half before he was ushered to LA had Boras' Gepetto-like hand right up his ass.
    Sure, Bill, you're the first one to make this claim. Unfortunately, better writers than you have already beaten you to the punch.
    As good a conspiracy theorist as he is, he needs to go work for one of the campaigns. Seriously.
    And I'm a Red Sox fan. Have been for 36 goddamn years. I was happy when Manny was raking but always knew - like dating the hot girl at work - this would end badly. Adios, Senor Ramirez.
    BTW - this TBS Hot Corner crap is getting on my nerves. I hate being blacked out of the playoffs on mlb.tv. What a bunch of fuckin shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted