1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons bets on LeBron to win MVP then votes for him

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 3, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Thanks Glenn - I enjoyed the read.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I bet Grantland has one less reader, then I quit going to Grantland. Is that wrong?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is both a good argument against sports writers voting and sports writers betting.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He's a grown man who can do whatever he wants with his money, but like Romney keeping his money in foreign bank accounts, it is just a bad idea.

Who is to stop Simmons next year putting a grand on Chris Paul as the MVP then writing all year about how Paul should be the MVP, even though he might not deserve it, because Simmons could make $20k on the deal.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the problem.

And I know some would say, "What's the big deal? LeBron clearly deserved to be MVP, so no harm, no foul."

But my philosophy is that you just don't judge this on a case-by-case basis. It gets too messy that way. It's a hard-and-fast rule, and that's that.

6. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

One of a number of articles discussing the topic:
    http://thephoenix.com/boston/recroom/115167-should-sportswriters-be-allowed-to-gamble-on-sport/

Draft saved Draft deleted