1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons bets on LeBron to win MVP then votes for him

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 3, 2012.

1. http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-writer-bill-simmons-withdraws-nba-mvp-ballot-2012-5#ixzz1tq8XhGPJ

My question: How does Simmons qualify to vote on the MVP award?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't he? He's as qualified as anyone.

3. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

For historical perspective, the 1947 American League MVP vote was also corrupted by gambling on the outcome among voters in the BBWAA. If anyone is interested, the story, which I originally wrote for the Sporting News appears here: http://indiepro.com/glenn/selected-articles/

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We'd be hard-pressed to find too many people who watch as much basketball as Simmons. I have no problem with him having a vote.

As far as betting on the outcome when he can impact it, I don't think that's right, but I don't think it's a huge deal either.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yeah, conflict(s) of interest aside, I don't think there are many "media" people who are more qualified. I mean, how could anyone justify, say, Peter Vescey getting a vote and Simmons not getting one?

6. I wasn't being sarcastic, I was asking, honestly.
    I don't read Simmons. I know he likes basketball, but I didn't know that was what he wrote about with enough frequency to be a BWAA member muchless have a vote in things.
    I was unaware he had a beat or specialized in pro hoops.
    Based on the fact that I don't read him - ignorance on my part - I thought he was all things Boston, a shit-ton of pop culture references and podcasts.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think it's an enormous deal. But I'm big on the appearance of conflicts of interest. For example, it still burns me to the core that they let an MLB.com employee judge APSE awards. But particularly gambling. It's pretty well-documented by me on this particular board in past threads. Trying to remember some of the threads. There were some doozies.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Dick, I don't like that at all. And I don't buy ESPN's bullshit line of reasoning where he didn't know he was going to get a vote for it until after he already made the bet, so it's OK.

For him to place the vote, having already known he had bets down on who would win, is way over the line for me. "Withdrawing the ballot" doesn't erase that ethical lapse.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who did Sarah Phillips bet on?

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Albert Pujols. The Puppet Master was trying to steal NotGaryBusey that day so she went with her gut.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't care about his last 25 years or his horrid efforts on NBA on NBC or the rumors that never went everywhere or even the libel suit. For coming up with Joe Barely Cares, he deserves lifetime voting privileges.

And yes, Simmons is as deserving - more - of having a vote as anyone. (although, while I really enjoyed the column today on footnote NBA titlists, he needs to stop perpetuating the myth about the final three seconds of Game 7 of the 1988 NBA Finals. First, Laimbeer stepped over the line on the inbound. Yes, the crowd should have been thrown off the court. But if you're talking about the play, he committed a violation. And Magic did not commit an obvious foul on Isiah. There's never been a good angle on whether he fouled him. Isiah had the bum ankle and might have just fallen on it. but even if he did, it wasn't shooting. Isiah would have had to make 1, miss 1 and the Pistons would have had to get the board and score. And even if they somehow did call it a shooting foul, in 1988 the NBA did not have three free throws on 3-pointers, so still would have been 2 shots. Please, Pistons fans, I implore you, stop complaining about the final 3 seconds).

Anyway.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rough week at ESPN. Rough six months.

Draft saved Draft deleted