1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons and Klosterman on death of newspapers ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's the 3/13 podcast.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2864045

Very interesting debate between the two.
    I agree with Simmons on many points (unions, lack of younger columnists) but disagree with him on a few.

2. Just shut up, Bill. OK?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did they talk about the astounding debt the big companies have taken on which are what is effectively killing newspapers? Cuz it's not the unions or lack of younger columnists that are doing them in.

4. Rhody31

Klosterman talks about how newspapers got caught up in the immediacy of reporting stories as opposed to coming out the next day with better reported, more informative, longer stories.

They both also bring up the point of why newspapers were so quick to give away their product when the internet started rolling as opposed to charging 50 cents a day like they do with the printed copy.

TSP, taking on debt was a big deal, but you have to admit unions did a good job of, as Klosterman puts it, "raise the floor for salaries." That in turn allowed for high-paying writers and, as communism taught us, not everyone will try their hardest when they know they're going to get paid.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, I forgot -- unions = communism. Those fools, working to improve their lot! They should have known it would lead to the collapse of the industry.

6. What in the fuck are you talking about?
    Communism?
    I repeat, what in the fuck are you talking about?

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Simmons, on why he left the Boston Herald:

"I looked at the landscape and thought, holy crap, my God, I'm going to be 35 and I MIGHT have a chance to cover the Bruins. That's my best-case scenario right now, because nobody ahead of me is going to leave.... Is that a good thing? If somebody like me, obviously I had some talent, I left ... I knew I was never going to get a chance until I was 35 to hang out in the freakin Bruins locker room and get quotes from Ray Bourque."

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Simmons, the guy who demanded to go from agate clerk to lead columnist at the Globe, is giving pointers on the newspaper business?

9. Hence my original post.
    Believe me. The Herald didn't have a union worthy of the name. Ever.The unions didn't keep him down. The Man didn't keep him down. If I have to read one more score-settling tantrum from this dweeb, it will be too many.

10. Rhody31

Communism you get paid for work as much as the next guy, regardless of the job you do. Ideally, you love your job and continue to work hard. Unfortunately, humanity doesn't work that way.

The unions work to reward members for their work. Ideally, workers continue to work hard and put out a product. Some do, some don't.

At least that's my interpretation of communism. If it isn't, then my high school teacher failed me.

Seriously, this podcast deserves a listen from even the most crotchety of SportsJournalists.com members.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There was definitely a failure somewhere along the line. I don't know if I'd be so quick to blame some teacher in the distant past.

That's not what communism is.

12. Rhody31

I think he has a valid point, and I think his "hang out" was a little tongue-in-cheek.
    There are a lot of good writers who churn out tremendous copy at small papers and even bigger ones but cannot move up because there are older reporters mailing it in. This doesn't happen everywhere, but it happens more than we'd like to admit.

Draft saved Draft deleted