1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simers vs. Mora

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But isn't "didn't try his hardest" the same as point-shaving? Or laying down?

Especially if there's a material benefit to doing so?

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If a point spread is 24 in a college game, and the coach takes out his starting quarterback up 20 with 5 minutes to go, isn't that laying down? Or what if a team is at the opponents' 1-yard line and kneels on the ball with a minute to go? Isn't that laying down? Isn't that point shaving? This argument is a bit silly.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good column, too.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's also Mr. Simers' entire premise.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Az, I know you like being board contrarian and all, but please tell me you don't actually believe we're talking about felonious game-fixing here. Teams lose all the time when it's to their benefit to do so. Mora denied this, but I wouldn't blame him if he did and I will be very interested to hear his explanation if they win at Stanford six days after losing by three touchdowns at home.

And as far not trying their hardest being a felony, we'll just check back during Week 17 of the NFL season when the Texans and Falcons are resting every first-string skill position player.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know if not trying to win is a felony, but it could get you kicked out of the Olympics.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Best moment of the entire Olympics and a close second in overall Game Of The Year, trailing only Tebow beating the Steelers.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK, Simers is an idiot - or he is a genius.

Does anyone have actual knowledge of his relationship with Mora?

If this is schtick and he has a good relationship with Mora then that is one thing.

If this is his grandstanding bullshit then he should be reprimanded and he deserves to get killed by his readers and others in the media for this nonsense.

Either way his premise that UCLA has an easier road at Stanford than at Oregon is flawed and stupid and ignorant - Stanford beat Oregon at Oregon a few weeks ago.

9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I find T.J. Simers highly unprofessional, not showing coaches and athletes the common decency they are entitled to.

If they are treated poorly, they have an excuse to treat us poorly.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I like the way everyone says, "Coach.....over here" when they ask a question.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Gold. :D

I like Simers for the most part, and it was a good column, but no coach is gonna say what Simers wanted him to say there. Most coaches aren't stupid, and they aren't puppets for a columnist's jollies, either. Good on Simers for taking a shot at the games within the games in the system Mora is dealt, but good on Mora also for handling it well instead of blowing his stack.

If anything, Mora proved that Simers isn't the only smart guy in the room.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Did you watch the Colts, last year?

Draft saved Draft deleted