1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simers on Vecsey 'borrowing' from a blogger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Feb 16, 2007.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

If this is being discussed in the NBA thread, I apologize ... figured it needed it's own thread.

I've written about this on the site and elsewhere, and am somewhat surprised it's gotten zero media coverage.

TJ Simers takes Peter Vecsey of the NY Post to task for borrowing from a blogger. There are 2 LARGE portions that are extremely similar in nature on this link. The blogger sent Vecsey an email, said 'use what you want.' Vecsey even responds.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers15feb15,1,2891620.column?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Here's what Vecsey said: "I've never seen his blog," Vecsey said, "but we talk, we e-mail and obviously I believe most of what he says."

"Elliott said he e-mailed a letter to Vecsey on Sunday night, as well as to Jim and Jeanie Buss, and Mike Bresnahan, The Times' Lakers beat writer — pointing out everything that is wrong with Kobe's play on the court these days. The letter read very much like the fan's blog and Elliott told Vecsey to use whatever he wanted in the newspaper, and obviously Vecsey did."

So this is where we are? Fans (bloggers?) emailing writers ... and writers using it practically verbatim?

"Vecsey, though, seems to be using them like Deep Throat these days, which makes me wonder just how informed the NBA insider and former TV analyst is when it comes to formulating and delivering such a strident opinion about Kobe Bryant."

If Vecsey were some college kid or even a rookie, this isn't that big a deal. But here's a veteran of the biz, a guy who breaks stories, and he's getting handed stuff from an obsessed fan with a blog ... and using it?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

3. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

I apologize.

'An interesting read.' Wow. Can't believe i missed it.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It said "interesting." What more do you want?

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

I just think a more specific title could direct those interested to the thread.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are correct, sir.

I've posted on it a dozen times yet when I see it I still don't remember what it's about half the time.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, well... You know how to title a thread. There are a lot of morons who don't...

Draft saved Draft deleted