1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simers could be out at LAT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Jul 27, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

More on TJ, complete with vid of his daughter.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2013/07/sports_scribes_abuzz_with.php

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Did anyone at least tell Howard that Kelly was a pretty decent player in her day at Santana High in San Diego County. I think she even held the section record for three-pointers at one time.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Still no decision on what's going on, but the great Mark Heisler has a nice, detailed piece about what might be going on (probably a settlement with Simers leaving) and other LAT/Tribune thoughts/insights.

Heisler: "In the increasingly spider-webbed world known as “journalism,” the Los Angeles sports scene has been a lot quieter since June 2, and a lot less fun. Here’s a thought that will surprise a lot of the Times’ remaining readers, and should: We miss T.J. Simers. "

http://bit.ly/14zlxmO

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There are certain things that happen in Los Angeles (the Steve Alford hiring being the most recent example I can recall) where the only thing I could possibly want to read is Simers' column about it.

I have heard enough about his personal style, from enough people I respect and like, to believe he is hell to get along with. But the man can turn a column. And he goes where he needs to be and asks the questions he needs to ask -- that makes him a lot different from the people he is often compared to.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Word for word...

I don't think I've read The Times once since he went on leave, or whatever it is...

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe he'll turn up at the Long Beach Register.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Please no.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I read almost no "name-brand" columnists these days unless directed to their work via an aggregation service (Twitter, facebook, SportsJournalists.com, etc.). In general, I'm harsh toward them. But I really like T.J. Simers.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd bet the Long Beach Register wouldn't say that.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And behind the crumudgeon is the man who'll write about kids at the children's hospitals who may never go home, and often don't, and I'm driven to tears. For those of us in the business, it will be a lesser place if exit papers are in the offing.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's really no one similar to him. There are guys who do a weekly notes column that has an edge to it, but nobody is consistently as edgy (and funny) as Simers.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Those who know me from posting here know I am not a Simers fan at all. His columns aren't about sports, they are about him. His writing shows the kind of self-centered person he is. The whole thing with Mora shows what a fraud he is, but hey, he got more attention for himself and that is what he is all about.

His ventures in broadcasting did not go well. He's a know-it-all who knows little about any sports except football. Losing Bill Shaikin or Helene Elliott would be harder to take for LA Times readers. Simers did snarky comments about the McCourts, but Shaikin did the real reporting and owned the story lock, stock and barrel.

As for his future, I think the most likely scenario is for him to go to an online website - it might generate traffic. I am thinking something like Fox Sports or ESPN might be likely. I can't see the OC Register using him, and he presents a lot of potential problems for sports editors especially if he doesn't interest readers or generate readership numbers. Think about it - if a new reader read TJ Simers columns without any knowledge about him, they probably wouldn't like him. He came to the LA Times as a football writer/columnist, so he was already familiar to LA Times readers.

Draft saved Draft deleted