1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Silly college football rankings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Oct 24, 2010.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Of course the fans would go over this. Who gives a damn if the people in Alabama can't put a little number 1 or 2 or 3 next to their team's name on Labor Day weekend? It only served as an embarrassment to everyone involved this year that Florida supposedly deserved to be fourth, some idiot felt Texas deserving of a No. 1 vote and Penn State, Pitt and Georgia all were included in the top 25. The sun still will rise in the east if there's no voting before Columbus Day.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You wish that to be true. You know it's not true. You know it's in the sport's interest to have the polls. Of course there's no certainty in life, and some teams won't live up to high expectations. So what?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you have a point, Aristotle?

4. dooley_womack1

I am not Shaq

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I always get a kick out of those preseason polls that take a team that finished 8-5 or 9-4 the year before and rank them in the top 10 because they had a recruiting class ranked No. 2 or 3----that's a shot in the dark stat being used as the basis for a shot in the dark preseason poll.

Idiocy.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Now, if we could get rid of the idiocy that are the annual recruiting rankings, we'd be getting somewhere in college football.

7. dooley_womack1

Yeah, Missouri ranks from 30th to 40th every year, yet it's clear they have a much better talent level than a lot of folks ahead of them. It's a priori thinking; if Notre Dame is interested in a recruit, it must mean it's a top recruit.

8. Simon

Simon Active Member

Recruiting rankings don't determine a national championship. The AP/USA Today and Harris Poll do.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think most college football fans -- myself included -- would like to see it determined on the field. The current BCS setup is a flawed comprise that tried to appease fans wanting a national title game and the various financial interests propped up by bowl games.

We won't get into that debate here, but I think the polls are a very minor part of that problem.

However, even if there's a playoff for Division I-A football someday, there will still be polls -- just like there are for college basketball. They're a diversion for fans and something to put in the Monday and Tuesday sports section.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Hey, those dudes do it as a job. They get paid for it. What's the excuse of the writers that vote in the AP poll?

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Someone please tell me what the harm is by having the first polls done in the first week of October.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd definitely be in favor of a preseason poll and then none until Week 5 or 6 of the season.

I'd love to see a comparison of what the preseason one from this year looks compared to the current one and it gives you an idea how nobody knows anything at the beginning of most seasons.

What was Auburn in the preseason? No. 22? Was Oregon in the top 10?

How high were Texas, Florida and USC?

Draft saved Draft deleted