1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signing Day just got interesting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I was an editor at SI, I would send Don Yaeger and George Dohrmann to Oxford and say, "Don't come back until you have enough to put them on probation..."

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Seems like Ole Miss had some legit connections to most of the kids it signed. The top kid's brother plays at Ole Miss, so that explains that one. The stud WR was certainly recruited by his former HS teammate, who now plays at Ole Miss.

Plus, I'm sure a couple guys saw the kind of class Ole Miss was getting and decided they wanted to be a part of it.

All that said, I wouldn't be shocked if Ole Miss (or any other school) was involved in something shady.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wow, what a bad recruiting year for Stanford. Rivals has them at 61st. So much for momentum.

Also surprised to see Oregon as low as it is.

4. Have to think losing Kelly hurt Oregon's class quite a bit. Especially as late as it was.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Must have, but I'd have thought the continuity in the staff would mitigate that. Usually the head coach isn't doing the recruiting anyway.

6. Mizzougrad96

You're right about some of the players having a connection there, but when you see a school like that come out of nowhere to finish with a top 10 class, especially with so many guys picking it at the last minute, a lot of red flags go up...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Didn't know that. Someone will win a court challenge on that one day.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So if a school which isn't a traditional power gets a top class, it must be cheating. That's a remarkable assumption, far more remarkable than the alternative theory that they all cheat and some are just better at it.

9. Mizzougrad96

That doesn't sound right... When I was covering colleges, our main art one day was a portion of the letter with the star quarterback's signature on it. (I know, not exactly original) but I don't remember any parent signature being on it. Maybe there's a separate form, I don't know... I thought the kid just had to be 18.

10. Mizzougrad96

Sadly, with football, it usually is... It's more than that though. When you have guys backing out of previous committments and deciding at the last minute to go there, it's a legitimate question.

I think the assumption that every school cheats at some level is probably accurate. But when a school has been as mediocre as Ole Miss has over the last couple years and they turn around and pull in a class like that, I think people would be foolish not to be suspicious.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And Tom Brady was a seventh-round pick, and Kurt Warner a stockboy.

Four extra years to see the athlete and get it right, and these coaches/GMs --- at the top of their profession ---- still couldn't get it right.

Re: The 2010 signing class. If a team with a good class was a bust 3-4 years later, it doesn't mean the rankings were way off. It very likely means a few signeees were injured, in academic trouble or otherwise eventually kicked off the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted