1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signing Day just got interesting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2013.

1. One of my sportswriter friends said today is akin to being a Wal-mart cashier working Black Friday.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be. Plenty of white thug gangbanger wannabes out there.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Even presuming it's not racist, it is completely irrelevant or based on the same kind of bullshit that makes Phil Mushnick write about renaming the Brooklyn Nets.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's the usual racist-excusing retort.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So I'm a racist for pointing out that not all gangbangers are black?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Calling football signees gangbanger wannabees -- when you are clearly talking about black players -- is racist.

Excusing that language because some football signees are white is pretty close.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But how many white thug gangbanger wannabes are 5-Star recruits? Thats racist!!

8. joe

joe Active Member

I'd rather get beaten with a cricket bat.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I hope that at some point Mom is introduced to the concept of her kid being 18 years old, in which case he's within his rights to tell her to STFU and cut the apron strings.
    This ain't rocket science. Fax the forms to the coach. By now the school knows that she can't demand the letter of intent for an 18 year old.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

According to an ESPN story, a parent or guardian's signature is required until the kid is 21.

Covering recruiting doesn't have to be awful. There are ways to do it without stalking 16-year-olds and making a big deal out of their every whim.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm always surprised the beans don't get spilled on signing day. "Uncle" Jimmy freaks out when Joe Recruit's decision costs Jimmy a job at Big Time U, or goes against Mama and she starts yelling "Do I get to keep the house anyway?"

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's the over/under on how long it takes for either someone to blow the whistle on Ole Miss or for the NCAA investigation to begin?

Draft saved Draft deleted