1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signing Day just got interesting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    RayRay with RayRayRay. No word on which gang he'll be pledging in Miami

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Alabama fans. The gift that keeps on giving.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Unlike Dick Whitman, dixiehack and I are open about our allegiances.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember asking that question more than a decade ago...

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

JJ Watt was rated two stars coming out of high school. Shows the value of rating system.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The rating of one player out of thousands upon thousands who have been rated is evidence enough for you to deem the entire rating system a failure?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

J.J. Watt failed to deliver even two-star value for the school that signed him.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Brien Taylor failed to reach the majors.

Shows you the value of No. 1 overall picks in baseball.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's because he was 220 and slow. Then he fell in love with grass-fed beef or something and now he's 295 and fast.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Back to the original topic, if Collins is 18, why does he need his mother's permission to sign the NLOI? Just call the school and ask them to send another copy.

Oh, and that kid is going to get ripped on by teammates and opponents for the next 3-5 years.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The state of Wisconsin is known for its grass-fed beef.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I want to go on record as saying that I absolutely loathe football signing day, and everything that leads up to and surrounds it. Loathe it.

I hate the sense of entitlement that these gangbanger wannabees exhibit, especially the televised press conferences with the cliched cap rigamarole.

I hate the rampant cheating that debases otherwise outstanding institutions of higher learning.

I hate the obsessive fans who don't blink their eyes at sending death threats to 18-year-olds because they spurn a certain college.

I hate most of all the fact that I have to get up at the crack of dawn (for me, 6:30 is the crack of dawn) and drive all over the coverage area getting empty quotes and grip-and-grin pictures from players and coaches, then blow this nonsense out of all proportion in the next day's paper.

<deep sigh>

There. I feel better already.

Draft saved Draft deleted