1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signing Day just got interesting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Perfectly said... :D

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This snark assumes, of course, that everyone in the SEC, or all of college football for that matter, is as pure as the driven snow. Cheat better next year, everyone.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

The Urban-ator.....makin' friends, influencing people.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/urban-meyer-says-rest-big-ten-recruiting-isn-001056040--ncaaf.html

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hell, in one ranking Maryland would have finished fourth in the Big Ten's recruiting rankings.

Nevermind how much of that high-ranked "talent" washes out at each and every school.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy is he fucking right though.

The whole conference is infused with delusions of its past grandeur, helped along by the mounds of today's Big Ten Network cash. Getting fat and lazy on it too.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Ole Miss did use nefarious means to land this class, Nkemdiche's father might be one of the things that brings all of it to light.
    A few months ago, he applied for a job as a researcher at Ole Miss' medical center in Jackson. UMC's director has been quoted in the press as saying Nkemdiche was the most qualified applicant, but an anonymous someone -- probably a Mississippi State fan who worked there -- dropped a dime on him with the state's personnel board. The board reviewed it, decided it didn't have a case on its end, and told the whistleblower to take it to the NCAA since it was more in that organization's purview.
    Nkemdiche ended up withdrawing his application.

Now, is all this a case of a father wanting to (and having the legitimate means to) take a job to be closer to his sons and be somewhere he can watch them play? Or is it something shady? Either way, it could be a starting point for an NCAA investigation, and who knows where that'll lead.

7. Sometimes Signing Day isn't really signing day.

http://www.enquirerjournal.com/sports/localsports/x1733191494/Sun-Valley-coach-pulls-hoax-on-Signing-Day

Can't believe the coach actively played a role in the lie. Feel bad for the reporter.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's also not like I'm the only person saying that Ole Miss' signing class is suspicious.
    He's definitely right. As long as Meyer is at Ohio State, I will be surprised every season he doesn't win the conference title.

It should be noted that of ESPN's top 100 players, 60 of them are from a state where the SEC has a school.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Geez, that sounds pretty innocent to me. I actually talked to the university my kid attends about working there specifically for that reason.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Priceline plays a role in getting a kid from Miami to sign at UMass.

http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/index.ssf/2013/02/whirlwind_process_lands_umass.html

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted