1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Significant changes' coming to sports entries for AP Stylebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Parking the bus," though an unfamiliar term, sounds like a cliche anyway. Avoid it, AP.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Good editor. Hope you didn't get all up in his grill.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The shot might not have been blocked or even deflected. In fact, I'd guess it wasn't or the announcer probably would have said that.

The shooter might have had to change the shot because of the defensive presence -- floated it too high or had it come up short or wide as he tried to get it around the defender's reach. It happens a lot -- just watch any Kentucky game and you'll see tons of those.

I wouldn't have used the word "bother," though. I'd probably say the shot was "altered" or "influenced."

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Sorry, did I forget to mention I was watching it on LiveStream? Yes, they were blocked and deflected.

If he said the ball-handler was bothered by a defensive move, I could have accepted that. But he said, over and over, ad naseum, the shot was bothered.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I've always been into nose history; will check this museum out.

Draft saved Draft deleted