1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Significant changes' coming to sports entries for AP Stylebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Mar 23, 2015.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Couldn't we have found time to stop calling two consecutive wins or losses a streak?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sounds like a soccer term. I hear people say a team has "bunkered in" to protect a lead, but I've never heard "parking the bus."

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Or how about stopping "he completed passes to six different receivers"? That one always drives me nuts.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or using "first time since ..." if it's been less than three years since it happened?
    There will be stories in the next week stating that Kentucky is going after it's first NCAA championship since 2012. Wow, they went two whole years without winning it. What a drought.

Similarly, mentioning conference winning streaks in college stories without context. Drives me nuts to read that LSU hasn't won at Tennessee since 1982 or something like that, but then the writer fails to mention that the teams only play about once every four years so that 30-year "losing streak" actually constitutes about three games.

Riptide and MTM like this.
  5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I was wondering the same thing.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It's a soccer term, not football.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I remember covering a JC baseball game as a young reporter where there were something like 10 home runs. I used every cliché to explain them, dinger, round tripper, went yard, etc., and my editor changed them all to home run.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I cover a bunch of soccer and have never heard that before.

Does that mean I'm too American?

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Haha. I guess. Guess you can get your flag, gun and can of Budweiser! #Murica! :)
    My buddy is a soccer coach and that's when I first heard it. A lot of local girls teams in high school will "park the bus" after taking a 1-0 lead and it just kills the games. Basically it's like that basketball game a few months ago where the high school teams just ran four-corners the whole game and the final was like 2-0.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Readability is what is important, not what order in which the nouns fall.

Of course, you could say, "The Thunder play the Spurs at 7 p.m. Wednesday in San Antonio."

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Had to listen to radio for local high school games because of a pinched nerve in my back, and was ready to scream because the play-by-play guy kept saying, "... Smith drives in for a shot ... it is bothered by Jones."

The fuckin' shot was BLOCKED. or even DEFLECTED. Who the fuck says "bothered!?"

"The shot was bothered by Jones, but with intensive counseling, the shot is doing much better now."

spikechiquet and gravehunter like this.
  12. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Or "The Thunder play in San Antonio at 7 p.m. Wednesday."

Draft saved Draft deleted