1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Significant changes' coming to sports entries for AP Stylebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Mar 23, 2015.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, I wonder what changes they could be talking about. "Sponsorship Bowl as Presented by Corporations With Money."

I really hope that's not the case.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's the absolute first thing that came to my mind.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

After I stopped chuckling at the responses — some were pretty good — I wondered about that, too.

I have a feeling we'll see the use of numerals in statistic-related copy rather of spelling out numbers the traditional way; e.g., "Johnson had 2 assists to go with 4 rebounds and 18 points."

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The over/more than was ridiculous. The states one is dumber, too. Inconsistency in headlines (no periods in, say, US, but use U.S. in copy). They should have included alot when they went to underway.

And I think reformed might be right: Numerals all the time.

Whatever. It's just a guidance by people trying to justify why they should be doing what they do each year and it's change for the sake of change. Your own shop can/likely does set its own rules.

Liut likes this.
  5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

It's now OK to refer to players by their initials, like D-Wade, or GP, or T-Money.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Would seem to help make things more uniform. It makes me feel stupid when I have in the same sentence, "reformedhack went 2-for-12 from the field but made eight of 10 free-throw attempts." But if I'm being honest, a big part of the problem is my shop's lack of consistency on this.

reformedhack likes this.
  7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Try this:
    reformedhack fared better when unguarded, going 8-for-10 at the line but only 2-for-12 from the field.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Gee willikers! Thanks! :) Just giving an example.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I will admit to being OCD as hell, but your example looks nothing like my style.

2 for 12 if it's a noun. 2-for-12 if it's an adjective (because it modifies the moun).
    And I ALWAYS use numbers when referring to stats such as 2 of 12 and 8 of 10.
    Oh yeah, it's easier to say "foul attempts" than free-throw attempts, though props to you for hyphenating the adjective modifier "free-throw".

I'm OCD about "over." It's a preposition. Always use "more than."

The major change I would like to see AP make is a simple rule that would almost universally get rid of the word "on," as well as butting proper nouns, while at the same time, makes a story more readable:

time, date, place

AP ALWAYS puts the day at the end of every freaking sentence. "The Royals scored four runs in the bottom of the ninth to defeat Detroit on Friday."

Instead, "The Royals scored four runs in the bottom of the ninth Friday to defeat Detroit."

"The Thunder play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at San Antonio." instead of "The Thunder play San Antonio Wednesday at 7 p.m.," which is how 95 percent of sportswriters write it.

spikechiquet likes this.
  10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

One more thing while I'm on my OCD rant: What the hell is AP writers' fascination with the words "get" and "got"? They sound so damn hillbilly-ish. There are a ton of synonyms to make it sound like a human being wrote the story.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Couple things.

First, you don't have to say "free-throw attempts." A free throw IS an attempt.

Second, in your example "The Thunder play San Antonio Wednesday at 7 p.m.," you need an "on" between the two proper nouns "San Antonio" and "Wednesday" to keep them from running together and making a few morans wonder "What sport does the San Antonio Wednesday play?"

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted