1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signage on outfield wall at Wrigley Field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

When in Rome...

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Remember when Wrigley purists thought the place would lose its charm when they put up the lights? I wonder how many of those same people really even are bothered by the lights now. I look at this ad the same way. That ad alone won't ever ruin Wrigley's charm.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

If by charm you mean it being the home of unprecedented ineptitude, then I don't think the signs will have any effect.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Oh, come on. I could never hit a curveball, but they're just lobbin' 'em up there for me. :)

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It would seem the argument that the old stadiums always had ads on the walls would make this a moot point. But it just doesn't seem to. Those ads were charming, harkened back to an era. These aren't.

My other thought is, where does an advertiser reach the point of diminishing returns? If putting these ads on the Wrigley Field wall pisses people off enough, it's got to have a negative impact for the company running them. Sure, people are going to see them, but their second thought will be, "Fuck 'em. I won't use their stuff."

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For your information, I was pointing that out for the posts before mine which seemed to assume the ads were already in place.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Anyone having trouble finding a good proctologist might want to head down there and check out the area around the 375 foot sign.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Eat it, spit it out, and then eat it again.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Baseball fans love Wrigley, but baseball itself has a real love/hate relationship with it, precisely because anytime you change anything in the slightest, there are howls of disapproval. I think part of the reason TribCo was finally willing to spend money was that if people started going to see the team instead of the park, they could try to get away with making more changes -- or at least, they can justify selling more space because something's gotta pay for Ted Lilly.

I remember in the Trib a few years ago Jerry Colangelo (a Chicago Heights native) ripping Wrigley. He didn't like the scene around the park, because all those people should be spending that money on restaurants and bars in the park, which of course, don't exist. I suspect there are more than a few owners who share his view that a new Wrigley, even if it didn't sell out every game, would a far bigger revenue generator than the current one.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Life ain't all about money. Sometimes, nostalgia is the biggest draw.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

They should share the Cell with the Sox for a year and totally redo the concourses and upper deck. Something like that'll happen when the Trib sells and Daley lets the new owners do whatever they want to thumb his nose at the Trib.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

We Must Protect This House!

Draft saved Draft deleted