1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign you've watched too much Blazing Saddles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Dec 7, 2009.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

We give you a laurel and hardy handshake ...

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

A highly underrated line. :)

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Work work work work work work ....

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As a Methodist, I take great pride in this one. Favorite line in the movie.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Taxi! Drive me off this picture!

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Here you go. :)

Unfortunately, it cuts off the strangled sound Lamarr makes when Taggart drops the ball.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Lamarr's other brilliant speech.

"Men, you are about to embark on a great crusade, to stamp out runaway decency in the West! Now you will only be risking your lives, whilst I will be risking an almost-certain Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor!"

That Harvey Korman wasn't at least nominated for the Oscar was a damned tragedy. Three nods for "The Godfather Part II" - De Niro won the award - plus Jeff Bridges in "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" and Fred Fucking Astaire in "The Towering Inferno"?? Shameful.

Then again, I'm still pissed that Paul Newman also didn't get nominated for "Slap Shot."

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I too, am a Methodist and take great pride in that line.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I didn't really think of it this way until I saw this post, but maybe Kevin Kline's Oscar in 1988 for a Fish Called Wanda was a subtle sort of tribute to Korman's performance in Blazing Saddles.

Kline was awesome in that movie, but if you watch his scenes versus Korman's in Blazing Saddles, Kline basically channeled him.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Never mind that shit - here comes Mongo!!

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Seriously, Bubs, good call. I think you're onto something there.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

A couple years ago, I'm editing a story and start cracking up - the story is about how the residents of a neighborhood don't want a 24-hour store next to them. The neighborhood is named Rock Ridge.

The reporter, in her early 20s and fresh out of college, thought it was really strange I thought it was funny - and thought it was even more strange when three of us - in our 40s and 50s - start reciting lines from the movie (ones that we could repeat out loud).

Ah, youth.

Draft saved Draft deleted