1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign the scorecard? Not as Wie-sy as it sounds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doubledown68, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Born Oct. 11, 1989, so no.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Debate the rule of keeping a scorecard all you want, but it's still a rule, and pretty basic stuff. Here's her track record:

1. Failing to sign her scorecard.
    2. Getting pulled off the course with two holes to play for a dubious wrist injury last year when she's in danger of shooting 88 -- which would have gotten her banned from the LPGA for the rest of the year.
    3. Receiving advice from her father, who was in the gallery, on where to drop earlier that round, which would have been an issue had she not withdrawn. Her playing partners were ready to demand a DQ otherwise for receiving advice from someone other than your caddie.
    4. Moving a loose object in a bunker in the Women's British Open during her backswing, and not counting the penalty on herself until tournament officials pointed it out to her before she signed her card.
    5. Taking an improper drop that got her DQ'd in her first tournament as a profession.

Anyone see a pattern here? When will Michelle Wie and her parents and her sycophants realized that the rules of golf actually apply to her?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Exactly. Hence my "series of calamities" post on the previous page.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And just to add: I've been at junior tournaments where 8 year olds knew to sign their scorecards without being told. Maybe it's an archaic rule and maybe it's not needed on the major professional tours with the computerized and real-time scoring. But it's still a rule, and one of the more basic ones.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And you don't have to add or think or anything - you just sign the sumbitch.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Another good point ... all the rules require is that you attest to the score on each hole. The scoring tent people actually have to add them, if the player doesn't want to. If the player adds it, they merely check the total.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The more I've been thinking about this story, the more I'm inclined to say that every golfer should check their Ps and Qs before leaving the course and the clubhouse (sign the scorecard, ask questions if unsure of something, etc).

Hate to add this, but where was her caddy in all of this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a caddy supposed to be the golfer's right-hand assistant when dealing with stuff like this?

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Can't believe all the support Wiesy gets here... and glad to see the good sense of the later posters... It's a rule, no matter how archaic. She didn't comply. The LPGA had an obligation to all the other competitors to deal with the violation when they found out about it. While I am sure they weren't happy with having to DQ her, they had no choice. They were not looking for loopholes.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

hope you weren't covering it

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yuck. I'd like to sell Christina Kim more shirt.

Here's the deal: I'm fat. I know it. Therefore, I never go shirtless, unless there's a body of water that I intend to swim in less than 10 feet away. And I never wear tank-tops/ sleveless T-shirts in public.

Some women are under the impression that Girls Gone Wild-quality, and wear clothes that force their fat to squeeze out like a Play-Doh maker.

Fellow posters, you know these women. You've seen these women. Be a friend, and let them know what's up.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Given the number of athletes who do not believe the rules of SOCIETY apply to them, I think worrying about Michelle Wie's missteps is --- to use a golf term --- a little out of bounds.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Michelle Wie has almost no apologists on this board. But the fact is the LPGA let her play the third round in its entirety THEN DQed her for her scorecard oversight that occurred after the second round.

That's ridiculous. Did the LPGA not know about this Friday morning ... or at least early Saturday morning before Wie's tee time?

Draft saved Draft deleted