1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign of Economic Apocalypse #7: Steve & Barry's in deep trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I am sad.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

*Grabs a torch* QUICKLY! TO THE $8 PITT STUFF AND "YOU MOM WAS HERE" T-SHIRTS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was cruising the job boards this morning and ran across a help wanted ad for a S&B store manager in this town -- the second S&B in this area.

These nuggets jumped out...

We're about busting the model. We're about defying convention. We're about reengineering every system and process previously considered fundamental to the retail business.

Join us to rewrite all the rules. Join us to challenge everything people think they know about buying clothes. Join us to help change everything.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow. Just wow.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sometimes, it just writes itself...

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'd never heard of it before this thread. Turns out there are five in my state -- none in college towns, all located in less-than-good retail properties. No wonder they're struggling.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Stopped by the local S&B's tonight to grab a present. They had these signs posted:

[​IMG]

Are there really technical difficulties, or is S&B's now in hock to AmEx as well?

Still has the $8.98 for anything in the store deal, but shirts are suddenly 2 for $15. And they're running out of Starbury and Big Ben (Wallace) basketball shoes. May not have had any Big Ben shoes, in fact. And I think I saw a sales clerk pulling UMich jackets en masse. Helluva lot of customers, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Had never heard of this chain until, say, 45 minutes ago when a friend mentioned it to me. Turns out I live within 30 miles of two of them....

and someone may have bought/saved them. BYH, this one's for you...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008129860_webstevebarry21.html

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Buh Bye

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN2039370020081120

10. Not sure why, but this really depresses me for some reason...could be because I'm thinking of my loving mother at the moment and missing her.

I remember when I was a senior in college, majoring in English, I was studying for a comprehensive exam the next morning that each student in that major had to pass in order to graduate. While brushing up on literary terms, I got a phone call from a big boy journalism school that said I had been admitted to their master's program. I had dreamed of going there and called home to let my parents know.

The next day, following that 4+ hour exam, I made the drive home to spend a few hours with my parents. My mother had driven to the Steve and Barry's to buy a $10 sweatshirt of the college I'd been admitted to in celebration, telling the burnout worker over and over how excited she was about my accomplishments.

I guess the only thing worth less than that master's degree in journalism and that screenprinted hooded sweatshirt is now the value of the company itself.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, this sucks.

Tomorrow I may go hit the one that opened here in July to see if there's anything left that I want.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Sad panda. :( Might have to swing by one of mine this weekend...

Draft saved Draft deleted