1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign of Economic Apocalypse #7: Steve & Barry's in deep trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 1, 2008.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

Bought a Carver Basketball varsity jacket there.
    Gotta love the props for the White Shadow.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

And within a week, there's a pretty good chance you'll have none.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Never heard of the place until this thread. Come to find out there is one in the mall in my old town. $8 jeans, here I come!

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bought a Hickory jacket as a Christmas present for someone... they love it

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Steve and Barry's was better years ago when they only sold sports stuff. You used to be able to walk in and find the most obscure sports tee, hat or sweatshirt from colleges you may have never heard of. Now its all about shirts that say "Beer Delivery Man" and "Beaver."

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True nuff. I went to one a few weeks ago and that ALL the shirts said. Used to be college outnumbers stupid slogans 3-1. Now it's the other way.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. The one near me actually opened last Thursday. Getting decent foot traffic from word of mouth, since they haven't had any ads in the paper yet.

S&B's is currently selling everything under the roof at $8.98 apiece. The Laird Hamilton/Wonderwall stuff is actually pretty nice, which is what I'd expect from Laird. The only men's athletic shoes they had were either Starbury- or Ben Wallace-branded basketball shoes. Had some very cool varsity-style jackets; if only I needed a jacket more than two months a year. The blue jeans ... eh. They had that off-yellow look that I guess is supposed to be fashionable. :-\

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Nor have I. They're not in any of the 12 municipalities in which I've lived.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd kill to find a Canada letter/hockey jacket with fake wool body and pleather sleeves. Wore mine right out, but got my 10 bucks worth...

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If I had found that jacket, I would own one right now.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-CANADA-HOCKEY-BOMBER-JACKET-NEW-WITH-TAG-XXL_W0QQitemZ160213192288QQihZ006QQcategoryZ57988QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
    Only with white sleeves and I wasn't paying 22 bucks plus 9 bucks shipping....

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Slappy, it's a red X.

But there's a S&Bs right by me, so send me the specs and I'll see if I can find it before they close this week!

Draft saved Draft deleted