1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign of Economic Apocalypse #7: Steve & Barry's in deep trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 1, 2008.

1. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

i'm wearing a pair of their $7 jeans right now. comfy as hell. I think i'll go back tomorrow to buy a bunch more stuff in case they vanish.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

There was a hilarious story in my hometown paper two years ago trumpeting the opening of a Steve & Barry's in our dilapidated mall. Seriously, they had the high school band playing and a ribbon-cutting ceremony. Insane.

Of course, my hometown's so poor, the Salvation Army's closing because, as an employee said, “We asked people why they aren’t visiting the store as much and we learned people are being more careful with their dollars and traveling a lot less on errands because of gas prices."

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have been trying to find a certain jacket of theirs for two years -- I wore out the last one and it's never in stock, dammit...

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is literally true for me. I think the new one here was supposed to open in a week or two.

5. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

S&B ... FABulous!!!
    Shirts, jeans and jackets/coats.
    Run to the closest store and help them make profits. NOW!

6. KP

KP Active Member

What's so wrong about being able to buy an Ohio sweatshirt in Taunton, Mass.?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because it's an Ohio sweatshirt and shouldn't be available, anywhere. :D

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I once bought a Georgia hooded sweatshirt for $10 at an S&B in a state adjacent to Georgia that had one minor flaw: IT WAS ORANGE, with black lettering.

The first S&B I ever visited was in Ann Arbor in 2002. If I remember correctly, that store called only Michigan gear along with non-college related items. I own University of Michigan hockey and Michigan women's basketball long-sleeve T-shirts.

I like to pick up the odd T-shirts from colleges I'll likely never visit - Albany, UNC-Asheville, Alabama State, Navy, Buffalo State. Plus, I've bought Duke, USC, Arizona State stuff there.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

S&B in a college town? Awesome. There was a time when, I swear, 50 percent of my clothing came from S&B in Madison.

S&B in a mall? It pushes sub-Wal Mart territory. We have one. I went in it once and never will again.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

At one time, I had enough clothes purchased from S&B in Bloomington to be able to wear a different Indiana T-shirt on every football Saturday.

I got excited when one opened in the ghetto mall down the road. It is, quite possibly, the crappiest selection of clothes I've ever seen. The only college stuff is for obscure schools in other regions (translation: stuff from schools where we couldn't hack it and closed the stores, or had surplus inventory). That, and about 5,000 Michigan State sweatshirts ... in Indiana.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know that ghetto mall S&B of which crimsonace speaks. My wife and I had to buy two new Indiana shirts for a ballgame and were thoroughly underwhelmed.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

New one just opened here in a mall. Now we have two.

Draft saved Draft deleted