1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign of Economic Apocalypse #7: Steve & Barry's in deep trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I guess I never understood why S&B expanded into the "celebrity" clothing business. Why not just go into every college town and essentially act as the cheap campus bookstore when it comes to clothing?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because, again, they're stupid. As you noted, they could have made a killing just selling college garb. I'd guess 75 pct of the local school swag you see around here is bought at S&B's. But they decided to introduce celebrity lines--never mind the inherent irony of a celebrity line at a clothing store whose lure is cheaper-than-dirt clothing--and voila! Fail.

Just confirms that journalism's not the only business where the bean-counters piss it all away and end up the only ones standing while their hard-working employees have a hard time finding a pot to piss in. assholes. the whole lot of them.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

They were the company that teamed with Stephon Marbury to produce his extremely affordable shoeline. They also have an odd collection of other celebrity lines, which includes Ben Wallace, Sarah Jessica Parker, Amanda Bynes, Venus Williams, Bubba Watson, and Laird Hamilton.

I know a bunch of you would love this store...almost every major college in the country had merchandise represented (mostly shirts, jackets, boxers, some hats) with ridiculous prices. They also had jeans, all kinds of shorts, and a bunch of other stuff. A couple of years ago, the prices climbed but you still can't beat 'em. I used to drive to Leominster, Mass with the excuse of visiting my sister and I'd end up in this store for 3 hours.

You have to admire what Steve and Barry's attempted to do, even if the execution was heavily flawed.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cherry Garcia.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How did BYH respond when the Seattle outing group hung up on his ass?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

He sulked off into a corner like the dickhead he is and amused himself for 8 seconds.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck off!

It was four seconds. My trigger finger, so to speak, gets itchy when I'm sad.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

WHERE AM I GOING TO GET $14 SARAH JESSICA PARKER JEANS??

Moddy, there's one in Potomac Mills. I think that's the closest one to Richmond.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh shit, OK. I've been in one. That one.
    What a fucking zoo. They could give me the shit and I don't know that I'd go in there again. Maybe I caught it on a bad day.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

S&B's buy 1 get 2 free got me a lot of college garb.

Their store in the nearby dying/ghetto mall has absolutely nothing a human being could want. College shirts, but they're all for colleges in neighboring regions of the country.

That, and they sell a lot of double-entendre T-shirts which seems to be where my students whose favorite TV show starts contains Jerry and Springer in the title seem to buy their entire wardrobe.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yes and no... in college towns, they seemed to go high profile and mostly sell merchandise from that college -- the one in Ann Arbor is downtown and is always busy. The one in Montgomery, for example, doesn't have a college or a contract with nearby Auburn. When in town on business, I'd tell people I was going to the Montgomery Mall to shop there and they looked at me like I was from Mars.
    Overexpansion is killing it -- especially with the "celebrity" line...

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Apparently they were expanding like crazy, because you are about the only person actually buying shit in the stores. They made their earnings look really good by expanding. They were getting one-time payments of $2 to $3 million a pop from landlords every time they opened another store. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any actual profit from the stores themselves. Margins in the 1 to 3 percent range. I don't care if you have a lemonade stand and you just want to earn enough to buy some bubble gum. That ain't a very good profit margin. I have never been in one. Is that where you got your running shoes?

Draft saved Draft deleted