1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign of Economic Apocalypse #7: Steve & Barry's in deep trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 1, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Story says they were really never making money anyway.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

So then why expand like crazy?

Edit: Their expenses were minimal as well. I read something last week (a good friend works there and has been sending us stories) about how their labor fees are miniscule b/c they produce in the cheapest countries possible. They're certainly not occupying a ton of prime, expensive real estate in Port Washington, NY. And I believe they also have a really low advertising budget and rely almost entirely on word-of-mouth.

Yet they're still screwing the pooch. Idiots.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That makes sense, given where they seem to locate their stores. The only two I know of are located in a former Wal-Mart on a rapidly declining side of of town and in a dead mall that had become 2/3 empty and 1/3 ghetto fabulous. So landlords desperate for a tenant advance them some upfront cash, and they keep opening stores to get that hit and cover the losses from the stores already open. Basically it worked like NHL expansion.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lono: "Hey BYH it's Lono. Listen up: It's Adrian fuckin Beltre bobblehead night and you're not here. We're very, very disappointed. Later."

IJAG in the background: "Later BITCH. Hang it up."

lol - better than high school

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The one near me, dixie, is in one of those huge Mills outlets -- just a huge warehouse of a store.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Non, meet sequitir

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I fucking love(d?) this place. Incredible prices (like $4 for college shirts) and good quality.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Where the hell are these joints? I've never heard of them.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Swear to god, I thought he was talking about the ice cream place. I've never heard of steve and barry's.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well they would have expanded to your neck of the woods next week but now they're out of money.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The only one I've been in is in the Block of Orange, a hip outdoor mall in the heart of OC frequented by a lot of teens and 20somethings.

And it was massive, with good stuff at great prices. We bought about $75 worth of stuff and walked out with two big bags.

But that business plan? Ponzi 101.

Draft saved Draft deleted