1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign of Economic Apocalypse #6 - Starbucks closing 600 shops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If Starbucks isn't making it in these places, Caribou won't. Simply put, they were locations where people weren't stopping by for coffee on their way to or from work. That's why the mall locations are gone, and that's also one reason why analysts have begged Starbucks to close the B&N, Borders, Target, etc. locations -- what minimal business the licensed locations get cannibalizes the more profitable, company-owned stores.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Eh....I'm not into empty promises, which is how I interpert lapdances to be.
    Yes...I do mean coffee, or paying Grande prices for Venti sized drinks.

My Au Bon Pain connection died off when I moved on to another office. I'm trying to work over this McDonalds employee up the street but she just isn't buying into it.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They tried this a few years back in the Toronto neighbourhood called The Annex--pretty much the Cambridge or Berkeley of Canuckistan.

Starbucks moved in on Dooley's. a cafe/salon/hippie meeting place that had been a neighbourhood fixture for almost 20 years.

As you can imagine, the neighbourhood erupted in fury. They held protest rallies outside Starbuck's head office in Toronto and high traffic store locations. They took out ads in the Toronto Star. It was good old nostaligic '60's style protests. Hell, for all I knew they held a protest rally outside the US consulate on University Avenue--just for old time's sake.

And they won.

Starbucks caved in but they're now Dooley's landlord.

Give me a double double and an apple fritter at Tim's every time.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, in the U.S. you can't discount the effect Dunkin Donuts has on Starbucks. It's been more aggressive with opening stores, and people are finding you can get decent coffee and a donut for a whole lot less than you can at the Starbucks up the street.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I don't eat donuts, but would love a Dunkin' Donuts in my neck of the woods because their coffee is better and cheaper than 'Bucks, which I avoid already because it's not strong, it's burned.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

And considering that Dunkin Donuts has made the move to offer free wifi in their stores, it strips the local coffee shop where everyone hangs out at appeal Starbucks works from.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There are so many stores that can absorb employees that I doubt many of them will be cut loose, unless they choose not to transfer to a new store.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

There's an intersection in Seattle with a Starbucks on one corner, a Tully's on another corner, and a Peet's and a Caffe Ladro on a third corner. And the Safeway half a block down has a Starbucks in it.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This is a little off-topic, but still coffee related.

What is the appeal of drinking coffee when it is 90 degrees out? Your body is already warm from the heat and you're putting in hot liquid?

I mean, when it's super hot or even moderately hot out, I'm thinking iced tea or lemonade, but I see lots of people drinking coffee in that weather too.

(Of course, this comes from a non-coffee drinking person, so who knows).

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Once in a while, when it's too hot to really be comfortable eating at ball games, an overpriced FrappaShake is like a meal.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Somebody fucked up a missed a corner.

Draft saved Draft deleted