1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign of Economic Apocalypse #6 - Starbucks closing 600 shops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 1, 2008.

1. The $4 lattes really were the easiest things to cut out of the budget when the price of gas started going up. Buying a Brita once instead of paying for bottled water all the time rates a close second.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ding ding ding.

And you could also get a Keurig, fill it with water from the Brita and be all set.

Along those lines, I'd love to know how much I've saved since I quit drinking soda and eating Yodels by the truck load. Course, I'm still fuckin broke.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Last Starbucks I was in, the big coffee was 1.90 - that's not terribly out of line. It's when you get a MochaDochaCocaFocaLatteFrap that the prices go up.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

There are like 5 or 6 Starbucks (including one in Target and one in Barnes & Noble...which are directly across the street from each other) in Lakeland, Florida...Not exactly a big city or even close to being a metropolitan area and there are a half dozen fucking Starbucks....and only one Dunkin' Donuts.

It isn't fair. If they close 6,000 then we're talking.

5. Somewhere, Peter King is weeping.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tim Horton's will rule the world.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The chickens are coming home to roost for Starbucks.

They were willing to cannabalize their own stores in order to drive out any local shops and now that they have done that in many places, the losses are mounting.

Too bad for the employees though as for the most part I heard it was a good place to work.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I bet it's not the multiple stores on major city blocks that are closing. The method to that madness is that Starbucks tries to keep the lines to a minimum, so having multiple stores means shorter lines, a good thing when you have people edgy for their caffiene fix. My wife works near West Wacker in a building that has what I believe is the highest grossing Starbucks there is. They could open three more just in her building and they would fill up.

Sadly, I'm guessing what will close are locations like the one in Chicago's South Shore and other neighborhoods on the edge that saw the entry of a Starbucks as a sign of hope.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Fixed

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This is what I got from Starbucks just a minute ago. I'm working on a story right now as are about 1,000 other reporters.
    This is especially funny since just last week I heard a Starbucks PR honcho speak and she was talking about how "transparent" the company was. How they always let people know what was going on.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I guess all the barista's will have to go back working as bike messengers......

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Where have they driven out "any local shops"? Usually the cities that have Starbucks also have more local coffeehouses than places that don't. I have two standalone Starbucks near my neighborhood, and there's been at least two local shops pop up since near there.

Draft saved Draft deleted