1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sigh. A Stephen A. Smith question/thread.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hammer Pants, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Covering what I cover (college football and basketball), I can't think of a time I've ever been in the same building as Stephen A. Smith. I don't get to the Northeast for work very much.

So I was wondering if SAS is really as smug and obnoxious as he appears to be on television. Is he a jocksniffer? I just saw him on ESPNews, and he just looks like he needs a hug. Is he really that angry? Or is that just his on-camera personality?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Haven't been around him in years. Used to be (may still be) a terrific guy. I've posted before - I love Stephen A. Smith. I'm not a fan of Screamin A. Smith.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Worked with him early on, liked him. I would guess he's still the same person, off-air. I see him on TV and I think someone needs to find an exorcist.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm not here to insult the guy. It was an honest question. I've always thought he was a smart guy who found a niche and cashed in, but I don't know him.

5. I met him during the NFL playoffs a couple of years back and he seemed to be a genuine, nice man. I don't know him well enough to pass judgment on him, but from the one encounter I had with him (met, chatted for about 10 minutes), he was a good guy. I suspect that's how he is, but I could be wrong.

6. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

I met him a couple times at the NABJ Conference and he came off as a nice guy. I didn't get a hint of the screaming persona we typically see on ESPN. But of course he could have been just putting on a front so who knows. But I chatted with him at least a good 20 minutes and he gave me some great insight on the business.

7. nothing like his TV persona

good guy

8. I talked with him at the 06 sports summitt and he didn't seem as fiery as he was on TV. Someone did bring up Slava Medvedenko, however, which got him going.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Never met him, but I've read his stuff or years and always thought there was a big difference between his TV presence and who he probably was. Everyone needs a bit to get on ESPN.

10. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

DOES IT MATTER!!!!

It's HIS personality and he has gotten mileage out of it. If I were him I wouldn't change a thing.

The question is - can you create a personality of the nothingness within you.

I doubt it.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

A good friend of mines was his teamate at an HBCU they atteneded in NC as well as Stephen being the best man at his wedding.

He tells me it's not an act and he's always been that way.

12. boots

boots New Member

I will say this. I liked him better when he was Stephen Smith. Overall, he's OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted