1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Siegel's takedown of Boston Sports media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

In Boston Magazine, Alan Siegel goes through the current lineup of Boston writers and columnists and details the big stories where the national media has come in and beaten them. He interviews a few writers, for example Pete Abraham.

I think the URL gives you a pretty god idea of how it goes.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/2013/01/boston-sportswriters-awful/

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is exceedingly unfair. National reporters now own sports scoops. The same crap could be written about any three- or four-sport city's media members.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I just read it, and thought it was a more than a bit scattershot in its complaints. Got to be kind of a laundry list of unrelated indictments.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Simmons' complaint about young people not getting a fair shake in Boston sports media is so, like, 10 years ago (if it ever was accurate). The Globe has had a number of younger writers on the Sox and Patriots beats, for instance. Many have gone on to bigger platforms. Watch the regional sports networks and I'd be surprised if there are more than a handful of on-camera people older than 50.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why Simmons continues to bitch about not getting ahead in Boston in the 1990s is beyond me. He achieved fame and fortune and good for him, so why care?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is very true. And yet, Peter Abraham arguing that it wasn't much of a story that players went to ownership to try to get Bobby V fired does not reflect well on him, or on the press corps' mindset there.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Has he ever heard of Baxter Holmes?

He makes very good points about other outlets providing better analysis. There seems to be a lack of sabermetric analysis among baseball writers.

Just throwing this out there: Is this a result of the good old boy network?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I don't give a squat about Boston,
    but thanks for a terrific photo. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In fairness, Baxter just started on the beat.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because it's his thing.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Standard players-only meeting with the owners (which happen on occasion there), bitching about the manager, who everyone already knew was despised in the clubhouse. It's not groundbreaking stuff there, just another brick in the wall of entitlement. I wouldn't expect the meeting to be about tee times at The Country Club or something.

The real story, IMO, was a player having the balls to text ownership as if he ran the team and the clubhouse. Horse left the barn long ago, etc., I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted