1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sideline gig opening at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Sep 21, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing will happen. The bar for sideline reporters is set here

"Holly, it's not giving up. It's 49-21, sweetheart."

2. riverrats95

riverrats95 Member

i wouldn't be surprised to not see him get a second contract.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Just my opinion, but I don't think Schad comes across well on TV, regardless of whether he's generating scoops.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Schad's first appearance on ESPNews last fall (I think it was last fall, at least) was one of the funniest, most painful things I've ever seen in my entire life. I wish it was on YouTube. It was along the lines of that college guy screwing up his sportscast.

Schad was sweating bullets he was so nervous, and he looked like he was going to crap his pants. He bumbled on everything that he said, and it was brutally awkward when the anchor came back on the two-shot and said "Our new college football insider, Joe Schad, thanks for the, uh, information."

Some guys are just made for print.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Mark Schlabach is one of the best in the business, but he hasn't had nearly the impact on college coverage that Schad has. I know they work for different braches and Schad has been there longer, but for someone who came from a NFL beat, I think Schad does a good job...

Go back and look at Tim Kurkjian on camera during his first couple years at ESPN. Armando Salguero may have made the most painful transition from print to TV.

Schad does a much better job on camera than most of the print guys making the transition to TV and he breaks quite a bit of news.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

It's not like he was years removed from the college stint, Mizzou.

Or as you would say, ...

7. Mizzougrad96

Well, the guy did say a naughty word on national TV... Let's go back to trashing him...

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't think Schad is the greatest thing ever, I think he's a solid reporter who does a prettty good job... Salguero may have been the worst hire in the history of ESPN... I got uncomfortable watching him because he was so bad on camera.

Draft saved Draft deleted