1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sideline gig opening at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Sep 21, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Great timing for the mic issue to clear up - just in time for Schad to drop an s-bomb.

2. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Well, you know what they say.
    Shit happens.

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Let's not be a bunch of 74-year-old virgin spinsters. Everyone watching that football game has heard "shit" before. And I imagine virtually everyone watching that football game has said "shit" before. It was an accident on live TV and not a calculated offensive thing like Janet Jackson popping a titty out during the Super Bowl.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

sure there have been words like shit and fuck uttered on the sidelines and picked up by a mic.

But if you're a professional and you are anywhere around a live mic at NO TIME do you utter the s or f words.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are networks required to apologize for language like that to avoid an FCC fine?

6. e4

e4 Member

i dont know. they never wrapped that up on studio 60

(if they did, i missed it)

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's ESPN. It's not an over-the-air network. For the most part, the FCC is powerless.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

If they fine ESPN for having it aired once they had better of fined Comedy Central for saying it like 400 times in one episode of South Park.
    If I remember reading Wikipedia correctly, they didn't get fined at all.
    No way they do shit to ESPN.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on the job Schad has done at ESPN, he'll be fine... He does a great job and this was just a very minor screw-up...

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Mizzou (the poster who has an opinion on everyting), I disagree. Schad is trying to be an info guy but a lot of his "scoops" are basically rewrites of releases or "Joe Schad reports Ryan Mallett will start at QB for Michigan." No shit, sherlock. Ask some of his co-workers if they think he's breaking stories.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Schad was in the press box before the Alabama-Georgia game Saturday night, so he hadn't been fired or suspended by then ...

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Joe isn't normally a sideline guy, but Rob Stone is away with soccer for a couple of weeks so he's been filling in. Nothing huge will or should happen to him as a result of this.

I've been surprised Joe hasn't made more impact since taking that job. For whatever reason, he's not generated the kind of scoops you'd expect with the wide range of possibilities to work with that a college football "insider" has.

Draft saved Draft deleted